how fast do you cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Apr 28, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have an exmark tthp. it has a top speed of 6.2mph. it has 6 speed settings. i always cut on speed setting 4 which i assume is around 4mph. my question is, how fast do you cut? do you find the cut to suffer if you go too fast? thanks.

2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a ferris dd and i run it at full speed which is 6mph. It could cut faster if the machine went faster.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

As fast as is reasonable for the size of lawn and that still gives a quality cut. Sometimes that may be only 2 mph because it's wet and tall, sometimes it's wide open 9 or 10 mph in good conditions and open areas.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I can run 12, but I average probably 7.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If the grass isn't wet, or thick, 6.5mph (my max speed), if it is wet or thick, maybe as low as 1 mph.
  6. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Depends on the lawn. Heavy, wet, tall grass have to go slower to avoid clumps. Ruff bumpy lawns have to go slower. Nice flat ground and dry grass,
    i'm full bore.
  7. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i think my top speed it about 8to10 mph i cut average 6mph unless it's an open area than top speed.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I was surprised to see a few return post !!!!!!

You'r Going to have to learn Grass Types.....

Come on Guys ??????????
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

This subject has been discussed dozens of times on Lawnsite. Why did it just now surprise you?

Manufacturers use average cut speed to estimate how many acres per 8 hour day customers can expect. There is no mention of grass types in these estimates even though that would make a difference. 7-8 mph average speeds, overlapping and turns are taken into account also in these estimates (or at least the ones I've seen).

Ask Puppypaws how fast he cuts. He has to hit he brakes when he see's a cop.
  10. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

lol...thats fast. My Ferris and lazer are rated around 9mph. i dout they go that fast w/blades on, but I often run full bore on a normal weekly cut with dry grass. I have hit roots, bumps where my but has come of the seat and the seat safety blade switch killed the bades. That usually happens tword the end of the day when im beat and not paying attention.