How Fast Do You Mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rook00, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

What acre/hr or MPH do you guys mow at on average. I'm thinking I can get 4 acre/hr on a 61" deck, 27hp Kaw LC, 10mph max mower.

What can you do?

2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure how fast I mow. I know what my mower is supposed to mow a acre at in perfect conditions.

I average about 45 minutes to an hour mowing a half acre. That includes trim, and blowing off. If I pick the grass up on certain yards it takes a lot lot lot longer. If I double cut it to spread out the clumps it takes a lot longer.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Since I have never actually encountered perfect enough conditions which would allow me to cut and leave a quality cut behind the fastest I have ever cut was about 3 acres an hour with a 60" DC.

At the height of last season when it was raining every day, the crabgrass was kicking and I had Meg-Mos on the mower I was down to about 3/4 acre an hour.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Damn, you must have all crappy lawns for the crab grass to slow you down.:cry: Sounds like you need some weed control. :p

Rook00,

Most lawns aren't smooth enough to go wide open or 10mph. I have a few that I can mow at 10 mph but most are too bumpy.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

when hauling azz, about 1 acre an hour.

6. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

48/19 Tiger Cub ... at standard temp and pressure (STP) ... 40 minutes per acre ... not quite hauling arse .

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow at about 4.5mph. I notice slower gives me a slightly better cut then 6mph. The clipping spread nicer and the stripes look better.

8. robin 2

robin 2 LawnSite Member

I mow as fast as they will go without plugging up the mower. Two 52" snapper Z's at 7.6 mph = two acres per hour per mower. One 61" snapper Z at 8.2 mph = 2.5 acres per hour. The 61" has a 25hp Kohler on it and will sometimes bog down but it is the only one that will slow down. I measured the speeds with a GPS. I mow big open areas around businesses, ballfields, cemetaries, churches, etc. and always go as fast as I can without tearing up the turf. remember time is money!

9. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

robin 2 is right time is money...

i mow very hiily areas, so i average about 1.5 acres/hr

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have tried to explain that at various different times over the years. We don't have the pristine lawns here that they have in the north and mid-west. We're in the worst part of the transition zone and we pay for it.