How fast do you mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobbyKnight, Sep 2, 2004.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

Yesterday I posted about possibly getting an account that was up to 7 acres. A lot of posts talked about how quick they could get it done and based their pricing from that, along with various other little things. I was just curious to how fast most of you mow. I know what I see when I'm out and about, and I know what I do. When I bought my first ztr, a dealer told me that the average garden tractor would mow at 2-3 mph. He said the average commercial ztr would go up to 10-12 mph, but the average mower probably cuts at a speed of 6 mph. My own lawn consists of about 4 acres. With my garden tractor I had, it would take me close to 5 hours, and that was with a 50 in. deck on my mower. Now, I have a 54 in. deck, and it takes a little less than 2 1/2 hours. Now, I'm no math wizard, but my time has been cut in half, which makes since, due to what he said. But some of the posts from yesterday said they were doing 4, 5, 6, or 7 acres in 1 to 1 1/2 hours. What's more important: speed or a quality cut? Will speed still get a quality cut? Just curious. What are your thoughts and recommendations on this topic?

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

my Dixie CUTS very well at full speed man, 13MPH....It cuts the same whether you are at 6MPH or 13MPH

3. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I understand your questions, but you have to take into account what kind of acreage a person is mowing. If it's 'field' type acreage and they just want it kept short then quality of cut won't matter as much as when it's 'lawn' type acreage. Each situation is going to be different.

4. jug head

jug head LawnSite Member

I'm good up to about 8 to 10 mph any faster and I'm hurting from the beating, stripes are crooked, and you have "corn rows" lol

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It is dependent on a lot of variables, but mostly.. How many obstacles there are, and what size the place is. On a place like you posted pix of, I belive there would only be two things that may limit your speed; The terrain (bumps,etc..), and the power of your machine..

Unless I'm in a VERY tight area, or slowing down and speeding up rapidly would damage the turf or the growth is bogging me, I run wide open.. BTW the manuverability is also one of the major factors in a ZTR's efficiency over a "conventional" mower..

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is also the variable of just what it is you're cutting. Cutting pristine northern lawns is nothing like cutting a transition zone thick crabgrass lawn that is growing at 3 and 4 inches a week.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I mow as fast as I can.

If the deck starts bouncing on the brackets, I figure I am beating up on the machine. My 595 JD goes 8 1/2 mph. I have very few properties that I can constantly go that fast.

I have a few commercial properties that 4 mph is max - but I still get 5.5 acres per hr.

The specs at 100% would be about 8 1/2 acres per hr. but if you consider terrain, and turning (we always angle mow- looks better) you actually will be lucky to mow 50-60% of the 100% tables in your owners manual.

8. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Until i got my ZTR i never thought you could cut at 10mph. One of my friends said his cuts just as good wide open as 5mph (unless its a bumpy yard) But now i know you can cut as fast as the mower will go.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why I mentioned how powerful your machine is.. and the deck has a lot to do with it too.. Yes, northern turf, and overgrown Southern turf will bog lots of mowers..Horsepower is KING

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, right...