1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How fast on a belt drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 15, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the belt drive mowers ive encountered have a peerless 5 speed forward, and a helper reverse gear. What is the fastest forward speed that you can actually mow with providing you have the room on the prop to do so?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

5 gear all day long keep you blades sharp you'll be ok
  3. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

5th gear for me on bigger props as long as its one i mow every week and it isnt over grown
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have used 5th as well, just make sure that you have a sulky attached.

The fasted that I have ever did without a sulky is in 4th gear
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Now that's a workout. 4th gear without a sulky is like taking an english mastiff on a walk...lol
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it was more of a power walk. I actually brought my running shoes for the day, and used them when I did this. I only did this on one property ever.
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

bring it here mike, and i'll make it go 180mph!!!!
  8. Eurosport

Eurosport LawnSite Member
    from Canada

this summer I used a 36 in scag belt drive working for another company. I used it in fourth all day long without a velke. Found fourth a little slow but the jump to fifth made me run so I only used that if we were pressed for time
  9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

5th gear 48" 6.5 mph all day w/ velkey
    4th gear on 36" w/ velkey because the deck bounces with less weight on the deck
  10. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Mine only has 4 gears I think (not sure with it being in the barn right now) and even with a Velke/Sulky, I do hope they have a very flat piece of land. It would jar the sh*t out of me mowing at full speed.

Every mower is different. The fastest I could walk mine, and it was like almost running was 3rd gear.