how fast to grow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by quint7, Jul 25, 2005.

1. quint7

quint7 LawnSite Member

I am kicking around the idea of expanding a very small mowing company so my wife can stay home with my son. Is their rule of thumb as to how fast I should try to grow. Also is it possible to be 100% maintenance or will I eventually have to get into installs and landscape construction.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yes in is very possible to do only maintentance and make a very good living, but you will need a good mix of residential and commercial. My company does 95% maintentance, but of that 80% is large commercial accounts because I can make as much on one commercial cut as I could on 20 residential cuts. The growth will probably be slow though and take several years to get to level that it seems you would need it to be to support your salary and the replacing of your wife's salary, esp where you are in NC as you will have as we do here, a lot of not only small local comp, but also several of the National Companies and you have several bigger private LCO's in your area too, so it will in the "real world" probably take you several years as I said to bulid a company that will support the both if you and your family and pay for the equipment you will need to add and the overhead of the business such as fule, insurance, license, etc. but it certainly can be done.

As to Landscaping and installs, you can't do those at all in NC until you obtain a seperate Lawnscape Contractors License issued by the State of NC through the Landscape Contractors Board in Raleigh. To obtain that License you either must have a college degree in Landscaping (or one of it's varied fields) or so many years of verifiable work experience in the landscape design and/or construction business. In NC to do any landscaping without that license is a Criminal Offense.

Good luck.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

MMLawn-...........but of that 80% is large commercial accounts because I can make as much on one commercial cut as I could on 20 residential cuts.

I always wondered about this. Do you mean because of the fact you're not having to truck all over the place and there is essentially one big check for a giant lawn that it is more profitable to do commercial accounts?

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately (as I think Mike would agree), there is nowhere near the loyalty with commercial accounts as there is with residential....just my opinion.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just wanted to point something out to Rod and MIke-------------------------
    Your being helpful and you know that you don't do that you've been told that enough by the kids on the forum. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    BTW - To the original question Yes its possable but will take time. Mike gave you some great advise.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yes thats a big part of it plus the requirements of doing commercials accounts are more stringent which keeps out all the fly by nite outfits

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is very possible to make a very good living in maintenance, my brother hauled down 6 figures doing 95% maintenance. However, he did more then cut grass, he provided a complete maintenance program for his clientÂ’s.

8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I did this exact thing in May, for the exact same reasons....wife staying home with son.

I think you'll learn how fast as you go, provided you don't overbook yourself right out of the gate. Someone on here most likely has a rule of thumb for a growing rate, but nothing matters except what directly applies to your situation. I have over extended myself, but that's part of the curve and your growth in coming up with business solutions. Get yourself into it, find a way to deal with it and make it work.

The biggest challenge I've had is trying to help my wife as much as possible, AND make the business flow and grow. Those late night feedings after a long day in the hot Texas sun are brutal! But the smiles you get in the morning are all worth it!