1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How fast to move topsoil?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eruuska, Feb 16, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a job to bid on that involves removing crappy soil from new bed areas and using it as fill in another area. How fast can a crew of 2 guys move topsoil with a 10-cu ft wheelbarrow? It's going about 100 feet or so.

Thanks, experts!
  2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

maybe a 1 1/2 to 2 yards/hr. Depends some on ground conditions/fatigue/how spread out it is before picking up, and total amount of material to move....one guy is going to be standing there a lot while the other runs back and forth.
  3. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

me and two other guys+3 shovels+3 wheelbarrows moved 20 yards in 2hrs. approx 100 ft, but this was all in a pile on the driveway, 10 yards of crap fill, 10 yards fine sifted.
  4. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Probably the most efficient way as everybody is working all the time.

You can move about 10 yards in a little over an hr or so with a mini skid steer. You just don't get tired.

But, this only works well if you have a free standing pile and don't have to dig out from close quarter beds. And you have to be more concerned about digging up the lawn than with the wheelbarrows.
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends more on the people working than anything else. I would get three 6 cu. ft. wheel barrows an leave the 10 cu.ft. one at home. It will be too heavy and awkward on any slight slope (side to side).

One thing that makes the work go faster that I used to do is this. Have one guy dig and fill the wheel barrows as the other hauls off and dumps two wheel barrow loads. When he comes back with the empty, one is full, one is being filled, and of course he is bringing the third one empty. When he gets there asfter dumping two, the digger then takes two wheel barrow loads and they continue to switch. Each guy does the same amount of work and it tends to get competitive which pushes the job along.

Five pretty full wheel barrows makes a yard.