1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How fast

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mowgli, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

How fast can you spread 3cubic yards of mulch using only a pick fork and a wheel barrow?

2. G&MLC

G&MLC LawnSite Member

Depends on distance and size of wheel barrow but it would take me a couple hours.

3. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

With myself and one helper..about 1 to 11/2 hours. With two people we average a little over 2 yards an hour.

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

solo i can average 2 yards and hour maybe 3 if it is close to the trailer. But how long could I keep that up? My best worker and myself average 4 yards an hour last summer best numbers I have ever had but we worked our rear off.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I think working in threes is the most efficient way. We have two wheelbarrels going at once. Basically, one person would be loading a wheelbarrel, one person would be running (well, ok, walking) a wheelbarrel to the appropriate area, and one person would be in the area to direct were its needed and spread it.

We never really 'timed' it persay...but most of the accounts done were anywhere from 6-8 cu. yds. and it took around 1.5-2hrs. This doesn't include preparing and/or edging the beds. Just mulch installation/distribution.

6. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

I'm with LB on this one, with one exception...

Use 2 wheelbarrows. That way, the loader can load 1 while the runner is delivering. It'll really speed up the process.

7. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I did three yrds the other day by myself in under three hours. It took me a little bit longer than normal, because there were lots of shrubs and flowers to mulch around. So depending on the terrain I'd say 3 or less solo.

8. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

We call this the "Loader.... Toter..... and Spreader" method. We average 1.5-2 yards per man per hour on average. However, we have put out as much as 6 yards per hour before, but that was pitching from a truck to open beds.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that's ONE yard per hour