How fast?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, May 8, 2001.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. I have a quick question for you Groundmaster users. My question is how fast can you mow with a 44" and 18 HP engine (don't know brand) deck and mulch without clumps/inperfections? I will be mowing when it is dry grass, just incase anybody wants to know that. I ask this because I'm seriously looking at a Toro Groundmaster GM118. I think it's a 1994 or something, I'm not really sure. I'm gonna bid a job that is around 1 1/2 acres and it would take me forever on a lawn tractor. I've mowed it before, it takes me about 4 hours with somebody helping me and I might be flying solo on it sometime in the future. I know the guy that is selling the Toro very well. He used it and some other Toro Groundmaster mowers to mow a cemetary. I know it's been well taken care of, but I haven't seen a picture of it so I'm not going to make assumptions. He said that he mowed his home lawn with it last time he was at home so I know it still runs LOL. Any answers to the mowing question and opinions welcome. No bashing opinions, though. ;) Thanks. Later guys.
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey scag,

Why don't you see if you can try the mower--I wouldn't buy a new machine without a demo let alone a used one. It may look nice, but how does it run and cut ? Just make sure that you will be happy---this is your hard earned money that is buying this machine.

3. The groundsmaster is not zero turn and with a little 44" deck it will be a poor trimmer.

Look for a used 52" walkbehind and add a stand on sulky.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the 44 inch deck isn't the perfect size in my opinion but the 18 hp motor should kick butt. I'd test it in a hay field before I bought it.

5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Take Stone's advice. The larger walkbehind is cheaper, more productive, and easier to maintain. Russ
  6. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

they are right. go with a walkbehind with a sulkie. they have a zero turn and are easy to work on like they said. now that is the way to go. It takes u 4 hours with a tractor to mow an acre and a half. What size cut do you have? It sounds like you do need a bigger mower.
  7. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

danlawnser, you took the words right out of my mouth. I mow a 2 acre property in a hour and 5mins with a 54" G. Tractor and it is a rough yard.

You definitely need a bigger mower of some kind.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The reason I'm NOT buying a walk-behind is that I'm getting a good deal on this mower. $1200 for it and it comes with the bagger. There aren't any walk-behinds used ANYWHERE near me. I'd have to travel almost out of state to find one and then $2000 and up and I just don't have that kind of money. $1200 is pretty much my limit. The reason it takes so long is because I have been doing it with a 38" garden tractor, not very big and there is a fairly large hill on part of it and trees everywhere so you have to dodge trees while mowing up or downhill.

You can't advertise that you are wanting to buy something here and for what price. That is done on the Used Equipment Market Place.

Eric ELM