how fast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dougmartin2003, Aug 4, 2003.

1. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

my question is about wb mowers how fast do they go and are they a zero turn radius mower. i have a 48 ztr rider but have never used a wb

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My Ferris WB's (dual hydros) will go 6.5 mph forward...I believe the same in reverse. And yes, I can do a 180 turn with them simply by allowing one tire to continually go forward and squeezing the other hand grip to make the other tire go completely backwards...thus a zero turn.

3. dougmartin2003

4. dougmartin2003

sounds like to me it would/nt be a bad investment to get one

5. rodfather

We've had them since Day One...I can't even think how we would be without them.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The new Hustler super WB's will top out around 10mph and 5 mph backwards. The super WB's' have the newer larger tire/rim combo (currently the largest) to allow actual mowing at 10mph if the lawn is smooth enough.

7. rodfather

Jeez Louise Pete..are they that fast???

8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

My Scag is 7.5 forward...who cares about reverse speed......besides Pete.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Funny, my helper is going through a bit of a rough time, and while we were cutting the back lot of this property I asked if he wanted to use my machine (54"/25hp bullrider wb)(super WB) and he said sure. After he was done he said, "Ya know, this is so fast and fun, all I can say is it's actually exciting". One friend say it's like riding a jet ski, I still think it's more like skiing.
    Please keep in mind, the Hustler is not so special, it's just that the super WB is just a bit faster and equipped with the larger tires to handle the speed. I’ll bet by next season the rest of the manufacturers will have the same thing……. Now the H bar, that’s another story.
    Now remember, just like a 10mph rider, you can't go fast on every lawn, in fact most lawns don't lend themselves to much more than 6 to 8 mph.

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

My gear drive scag will run 7 or 7.5.It wouldn't mow worth a flip wide open.I mow mostly in 3rd sometimes 4th if its perfect,never 5th gr.ITs a 17/48 with doubles I back down a gr. but it cuts it cleaner.My ztr will mow wfo if you can stand to be on it.;)