how friendly are your competitors?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Nov 11, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i was just wondering how friendly the other lawn jockys in town are? in my town we all get along good on a chating basis, besides the newer or scrubs. they don't really get it, most never wave or give dirty looks when we run into them. they just don't get it. there's enough work out there for all of us! you don't see garbage men flicky each other off!

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I mostly get ignored or dirty looks . but there are a few guys like me who could care less what you do and wave and smile :waving:

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Most guys around here wave. If I stop soemwhere and there is another around we usually chat. For the most part LC's are pretty friendly around here.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If they arent smiling at you with the one fingered salute - they're about as chipper as a pitbull with lipstick!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I get smiles and waves around here, but then I smile and wave as well. I stop to talk to the guys if I see them at the dump ot the local dealers. If you're friendly, it's hard for people to be nasty to ya.

When I was first starting, I got ALOT of good advice from the local LCO's. Everybody was very encouraging and at least acted like there was morre than enough work to go around. I think they were just happy to help out somebody who was trying to get started legally, you know with licenses and paying taxes etc.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Somedays I wave or say "hey" at the gas station, somedays I don't. Depends what mood I'm in that day, or how big of a hurry. I know some of you here will disagree with this statement, but I don't need them for anything. I know alot of you say that someday you will need them, but I disagree. That's all I'll say about that because it's been discussed a million times here.

I guess I try to be as cordial as I can with them. They are still the competition though and even though there is alot of work to go around I still want as much as I can get and believe it or not, they hinder me getting some of that, therefore they really are the enemy. I can be friendly with them, but I don't have to like them. :)

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Not a lot of waving or talking between lawn companies here in No. Va. Most just smile at you if they have to and that is it. Being nice is never going to hurt you.

Gravely_Man

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

very few are willing to chat and give advice. most are nasty. i did see one guy at a gas station on a regular basis, chatted with him alot. one day he said his 36 broke down, he cant get into his gated yards. i offered to lend him my 32 for the day, he looked at me as if i were nuts

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Many, or most atleast give a wave. Some of us evn have conversation, especially at restaurants and the dealerships. The ones that don't wave, in my opinion, have lack of respect. I realize that that is mostly due to insecurity on their part. Subsequently, this also usually turn out to be the younger ones. They think they are the kings of the industry, and don't even have a CLUE about the real deal. We even have a HUGE outfit around us that has several trucks on the road. I've been told that they are TOLD not to wave at other lco's. Respect is what seperates the amateurs from the pros.

10. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

most of the owner / operaters in my area wave but, the guys that own and don't operate don't. most of the hired help i see for the other lco's could care less about waving (most of em could c
    are less about doing a good job, too!).

i wave though. i enjoy talking to people who are in the same biz. somtimes i wave just to aggravate the non-waving lco's.:p