How Fuggin Cheap Can People Be???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, May 20, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Over the last 11 days, my employee and I have distributed over 2,200 door hangers.

So far, four calls.

Got one today right at lunch so I drive out to see the lady. She's interested in bi-weekly service, which is fine. I quote it at $25.97 weekly or $31.97 bi-weekly. (This spring I was quoting biweekly at 40% more, which would put this at around $35/cut). I show her the price and I can read her face. It's over. She thinks it's ridiculously high. Of course, when I go to close, I get the ole "I have to talk to my husband about this."

A few hours later I get another call from the door hangers. This lady wants to know what I charge. I explain that I can't quote a price unless I see the property. This old lady keeps on. "Well, what's the average? I have an average sized lawn." I tell her "Well, the average lawn around here is about 4,000 sq ft, and if there are no retaining walls, steep hills, excessive obstacles or anything like that, those are going for $25 to $27 weekly. A little more for bi-weekly." She says "Well, that's out of my price range. Thanks anyway."

Goddam. These fuggin losers really do expect me to work for free.

Fugg it. I'd rather spend all summer hanging door hangers and lose money than work for peanuts for a buch of cheap azz losers.

I'm just frustrated. We're working our ballz off to get calls, it isn't working and when I do get a call, they want a professional to do it at Little Tommie down the street prices.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I get a lot of that here in FL. I tell them if they want cheap lawn a goat.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This time of year it is difficult to get new accounts.
    The people looking now are the ones looking for "little johnny" (the kid down the block)pricing because they're too lazy to cut their own lawn.
    Next month is when the "other" accounts seem to start opening up.
    Be patient.........................
  4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

"the average lawn around here is about 4,000 sq ft"

There's your your advertising.
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

everyone wants somthing for nothing..believe me.
  6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

DFW Area Landscaper

Mate I know how you feel, really!

In Australia, especially my state this is every day, no better, that's it. My travel time for loser quotes is frightening, all the time being compared to a kid or beer money bob, amazing!

I guess you get this too, they want mowing, trimming, edges,weed spraying etc, so you add it all up squeeze it a bit to be a bit more competitive as ya have to a lot of times, and they complain that the last guy was cheaper, yet he didn't trim and edge, or partially, no spraying etc..., and you say of course I'm dearer, you want me to do more than the last guy! And the freaks say still shouldn't cost more, I'm only used to paying X...big whoop what they are used to paying, they want big work done, expect to pay...they just don't get it! grrrrrrrrr.

Yeah, they amaze you with their dumbness eh?
  7. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Had that this past Monday. guy asked for an estimate while I was on the job. I got done and went round to take a look. Big yard, lots of hedges, going around the house also. Lugustrum tree's, about 4 of them topiary's that needed keeping in shape plus the lawn...I said $35 a cut with all the hedge work and Lugustrums etc.....His face dropped. I was paying the other guy $100 a month he tells me. I said, what happened to the other guy, (he seemed to be doing a decent job). He wanted to go to this yearly contract thing, he tells me.......WOW! There's a shock. The guy under bid himself and wanted to make it up in the winter. I can't blame him. I told him, look I can drop to $30 a cut but thats it. I'm not dropping no lower then that. I also explained he would save in the winter as if I'm not cutting he wont have to pay. You still more then the other guy he tells me.....I couldn't believe it. Haven't had a call yet....hahahahaha

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you are targeting the wrong neighborhood
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++sounds like you are targeting the wrong neighborhood++++

You may be dead right on that one. It only makes sense that a guy making 100K per year is gonna be less price sensitive than a guy making $50K per year.

Maybe in the higher end neighborhoods, when they call for an estimate, the deal is already closed unless you somehow screw it up. In the middle class neighborhoods, the call for an estimate is a 50/50 chance.

I do know one thing for sure: When the caucasion house wife calls for an estimate, it's a good thing. They almost always sign up. They're so worried about maintaining an image, the "I'm not cheap" image, it seems price is seldom an issue. God knows it's that way with my wife. These can be some of the nit-pickiest customers too, but I'd rather have PITA's than nothing at this point.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the richer folk here are the worst, they nit pick but no nothing about what they are talking about, and the most resistant to full maintenance, rather mow and go and weed control when things turn to jungle, like this with many of the high end homes here, they have the cash but lawn maintenance was never budgeted for in their game plan. Very tight!

The every day family that hasn't time is my best client, not rich.