1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How full do you keep your fuel tanks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric D, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Do you keep your zero turn topped off on fuel, or choose to keep them at some level less the full for cutting?

Besides the weight difference, is the any other benefits to keep them low?

My Toro Z555 60" deck zero seems to perform much better with the tanks at half or lower. I get better traction on grades and better control in general. Anyone else notice this on their units?

Eric D
  2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Gas weighs 6 lbs a gallon so if weight and performance were related, wouldn't the weight of the driver be of more concern?

Or does this have something to do with centre of gravity?
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I top mine off every 2 days........
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Topped off every day. I typically go through it anyways.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Weight of gas? Weight of operator? Weight of a bagger system - I really don't see much of a difference unless you guys have done a test of some sort to determine this.

Either way - full of gas everyday - usually go through it if not one extra tank.
  6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

depends on where the leaking starts
  7. RutledgeLawnCare NC

RutledgeLawnCare NC LawnSite Member

i judge my fuels ups like the stocks. holidays and what i hear on the news is what i go by. so far it has worked out well, givin the fact i only use about 35 gallons a week max of fuel. thankls
  8. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Topped off every morning.
  9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I top mine off every 2-3days..
  10. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

i fill up to the point where the auto clicks off (about 3-4 inchs from the top) if you go all the way to the cap it comes out of the vent holes and runs down the tank stainding it brown thats is the only disadvantage i see