How good are standers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chopsticks33, Oct 19, 2005.

1. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

I am interested in either getting a smaller ztr, or getting a standing mower. How good are 'standers'? whats the good/bad...

Any advice would be awesome...

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Bottom line for me......

Is the battom line,,,

It's all about money

3. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

Standers are awesome. The larger the unit, the less you have to fight the bumping and bouncing of the machine. I run a 36" and a 52". The two best purchases I have ever made in this business. If you can afford, go with an elec. start. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the old shoulder. My Kawi pull start always fires up on the first osecond pull however, elec. start is premium.

The only drawback I have found is that it does not cut extrremely well in really tall grass. may need to re-cut once or twice; leaves long "hairs". Other than that, no drawbacks for me. I cut all lawns at the same height so an adjusable deck i not that big of a deal for me.

4. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Standers: quickest machine for residential on the market, quality of cut on not the best. But they will make you a ton of money. The picky customers may complain about the bits of uncut grass left behind.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't own a stander but I could see it may eventually mess up your knees or hip joints with bouncing around hitting bumps in the yard and make it worse the faster you go with it.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Many people with back problems prefer the Standers because bouncing around while sitting is very hard on the back. As far as knees and hips....if you leave a little flex in the knees I think wear would be very low.

I love my Stander. Mine leaves a lawn looking great. I have found that the best quality of cut is with single high lift blades. But right now I am running doubles with hi-lifts and gators for leaves.... I did have to get the deck replaced under warrenty due to a manufacturing flaw. But no problems since.

There are adjustable height Standers available now....if that is an issue for you....

I will post a pic of my lawn in a little while....

Derek

7. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

Is the cut bad or is it the dispercel of the cliping thats bad? i bag most lowns cuz they have sprinklersx and areon fert programs so if the cut is good and just the dipersel is bad than i would look more into one. they seem like they are alote more manuverable and they are compact.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What does sprinkles and fertilizer program have to do with bagging. That would be a major reason not to bag.

Did you get talked into bagging by your customers. Your picking up a lot of grass clippings with a fertilized lawn and sprinkler system. I hope your charging $10 or more for bagging than non bagging charge.

9. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

My next question is which one to get? a Great Dane 'Super Surfer' or a Wright 'Stander'?

10. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

I use a wright stander 36. I cut all my 100 accounts with it. I cuts very well. My customers like the cut. Even the PITA customers are happy with the cut.

Next year I am gonna get the stander 52 with the biggest engine they have.

They are fast and manuever really well.

They take little space in the trailer.

They are great on hills and slopes.