1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How good are the wright 42'' standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dKoester, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I'm thinking about purchasing one by the end of next week.
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've used 52" Standers for 1.5 years and if I didn't already have equipment and the need for a wide area mower, I would buy one in a heartbeat. They are more maneuverable and efficient than the same size walk-behind.

If you don't mind not being able to easily change the height of cut and you're not on it for extended periods of time, like an hour or more, you will love it. However, that is just my opinion. I would demo one if you haven't already before you purchase...
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

The only thing about the 42" is that they are a little harder to trim with because of very little deck overhang past the wheels...

4. GStover

GStover LawnSite Member

It would seem that most who own Wright Standers on this site have nothing but good things to say about them. I d'moed one a couple of weeks ago and was impressed, but my knowledge in comparing to other mowers is limited. I plan on buying a 36" Stander Rapid Height this Friday, but I'm also looking at the Sentar Sport 36".

I have too many gated backyards, and hopefully the 36" will get me into most of them. Also, my dealer wants the same amount for the 36" Stander w/RH as the Sentar Sport...looks to be the same machine except one doesn't have a seat.
  5. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Ive heard the stander is better easier to jump off of if something goes wrong where you have to bail.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I love my 52", fast, nimble, and very efficient. Also very stable and safe....

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my 52" so much I bought a companion for it, another 52" 23. I don't know too much about the 42". I see the blade speed is fast but would question the trim side also.
  8. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

I have used a wright 42" for two years now. It is great for back yards. Get the electric start and 17 hp kaw. I bought the bagger for this unit it is great around swimming pools. For large yards I use my 61" z.t.r. The only thing that I don't like about the 42" is the size of the rear wheels, they are smaller than the 48" and larger mowers. The small wheels cause a problem if the ground is not dry. They will easily sink in and leave tracks.
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys thanx alot i appreciate your advice greatly. Hope you all have a prosperous year and make tons of money.
  10. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Get the Sport. I have one and although I stand most of the time its nice to be able to sit once and a while. I have 200 hours on mine and the only problem I had was one of the deck support pin brackets cracked and my dealer welded it for me until the new one came. Nice cut very fast. Get the 17 Hp electric start kAW.