How good are the Wright standers 42"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dirt biker 54, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dirt biker 54

dirt biker 54 LawnSite Member

(Hello to all)
    Every 1 says how good there exmark or Hustler is well....
    How good is the 42" wright stander...???
    Is it a good buy for the Money and is it dependable???
    Just trying to find out what i shod get for next year
    (((Happy Thanksgiven)))))
    !!!!Eat UP!!!! :D :D
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" stander and love it. No problems with it after 130 hours.
  3. dirt biker 54

Thanks for the info hows the cut on it ???/
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a 36 stander as well. It is very fun to drive, very quick, good in tight areas, and when conditions are perfect, it cuts great and stripes very nice.

On the downside, it tears the yard on turns very easily. So much weight on the rear tires puts alot of pressure to the ground making rutting a very real possibility, or should I say probability. It does not chuck the grass very far and the grass seems to clump when conditions are damp or very long. The deck seems to plug very quickly as well, IMO. Some say that a walkbehind is easier on your back then a rider, and in theory it makes sense, but my back gets to hurting pretty quick if I spend much time on the stander.

My workers love the stander, and it has been very reliable, mechanically a very sound unit after one years use, just the same I think I would pass on another stander of this size. I think the bigger standers maybe better more efficient machines, and would not rule them out, however I sure like so many features of a rider when you get to this large of a mower.

Good luck

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Standers are very nice, durable and reliable machines. I sold some to the city here (inmates abuse the pi$$ outta them) and they have held up with very minor problems.

in 3 years i've replaced 2 spindles (lack of grease, poor maintenance) and 1 fuel tank (hit a headstone WOT)

Heck, they even abuse Walkers 25hp L/C....and i've only had 1 service issue with them (they tried to jump start with cables crossed
    :nono: ) smoked the regulator
  6. dirt biker 54

so u think i shod buy the 36" or a 48" what 1 would do better u thinK???
  7. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

I dont know what you run but if you have a larger productive mower I would go with the 36 it would make a good combo for the back gates.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Get this. A local LCO friend and i were playing this summer when we did a test. He mowed a property with his 36" stander for time. I raced his time the next week on my 48" metro. We compared time, and he won. Just think about how much more productive my 52" stander will be next year....i can hardly wait.
  9. energy

energy LawnSite Member

The main purpose for getting a 36" mower would be to fit through the gates or real tight areas where bigger wont fit. I have a 36" Wright Stander and it is great. This in my opinion is the only mower worth getting in the Stander line-up. If you are going any bigger, i would definetly consider a ZTR rider or a Sentar. The small Stander does tear the turf quite a bit, but if you have lots of accounts with gates or small areas, this is the machine for you. Thinking about getting another just so that i wont have to change the spacer rings anymore for different grasses. Wouldnt have this problem with adjustable deck.