How Good Are You ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Dec 28, 2007.

?

From 1 to 10, how adept are you a the full range of landscape maintenance?

1. I'm a 1 or 2 - just beginning

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. I'm a 3 or 4 - getting a feel for it

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. I'm a 5 or 6 - some good knowledge, ways to to

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. I'm a 7 or 8 - very good, but not too good

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. I'm a 9 or 10 - top notch, and still enjoy learning

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Best I know, most lawn care services go hand in hand with full landscape maintenance. That means that landscape maintenance companies need to know turf ID and fertilizer stuff, but if they are applying herbicides to beds, they need to know most of their plant ID for shrubs, trees and flowers to adhere to the label instructions.

Also involved is a myriad of things like insect knowledge, turf diseases, plant diseases, proper pruning, winter preparation, scheduling and irrigation needs of most plants.

With all those things being a requirement to be the best at what you do, or for what you advertise for, where do you rate your knowledge and ability on a scale of 1 to 10 ??

Nobody is perfect, so let's say that the "Great Knowitall" would be an 11 or a 12 off the scale.

So what would be a fair estimation of where you are located on the totem pole of skill?

Will list as many choices as the poll allows.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, I think the p**** comparisons work better in the real world :laugh:

Here I just figure everybody else is at least as good as I am, that's all I have to know.

3. mdvaden

Figure it out.

You're question isn't some kind of implication that there are not skilled people in landscape maintenance is it?

Because your reply almost hints to connote that, by asking about what kind of question.

I'm estimating that there is a wealth of all ranges of abilities, and would more than glad to see how industry people represent themselves.

Seems to me that if companies can offer themselves as a reasonable resource to hire, that they would also have the ability to evaluate and rate themselves. Otherwise, how would they know what is safe to offer and when to offer it?

I quoted your original post, not the one you changed it to. If you want to change your post again, sooner may be more convenient than later.

4. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

wow 25% of us are telling the truth huh!!!!

5. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

There's way more I don't know than I do and yet every day I see where some jacka$$ put something somewhere it has no business growing either now or when it tries to get to it's desired size.

Luckily winters are for reading and all year for learning.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

In the little promoting that we do now we market ourselves as true gardeners, not lawn mower men, or maintenance guys, or a landscape management company.

We are like the old fashioned gardeners who understood the craft, that were in sync with the seasons and realized that a true garden develops over decades not months or years.

That on steroids. We don't do any marketing yet but are about to jump into the deep end. We have spent the last 5 years working on systems, best practices, hiring process and so on. There is so much more to this business than just the horticulture part. So now we start on the marketing part, we are prepared for growth.

7. mdvaden

Your post reminds me of a bunch of the gardeners and horticulturists I met years back when I worked at university campuses and for the Portland, Oregon, Park Bureau. A lot of them were the good-ol professional all-encompassing gardener types.

There were a bunch of them that would like to have gone into business, but didn't like the landscaping "environment" at that time. They preferred the institutional and public garden style arena of the profession.

It's nice when that style of gardeners gets rooted in the business end of landscaping and garden care.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't that the truth. Just yesterday I noticed the town I live near planted a whole row of trees directly underneath of the power lines about 5 feet off the side of the road.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'd put myself at a 1 or 2.

10. mdvaden

Many of us have probably found 1 or 2 to be as enjoyable as any level.

I still remember how much I liked this work, books or classes, even back in the 80s.

It's the one experience we all have in common.