How good do flyers really work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Feb 27, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Hey guys there is a lot of talk about using flyers door to door. We havent had much luck in years past. All in all our flyers looked very professional and all but again not much luck. I think we handed out over 300 and got maybe at best 5 responses. Just seems like a lot of work for only 5 customers. And we tried to target nicer subdivisions and some with older folks. So how good do they really work?

2. randy_will

randy_will LawnSite Member

I'm not a big fan of the door to door flyers. Expense (time and flyer cost) vs. results are nil. May just be my area.

I'm in the process of testing some direct mail in the area that I currently service. Most, if not all my accounts came from referrals from the areas that I service.

I picked up three accounts in the last two weeks while I was working in the area. The customers came to me. Wish they were all that easy.

Last year / 3,000 flyers / 6 calls / 3 estimates / 1 competitor shopping his rates and oh yea..... zero sales. I am only doing residential right now.

3. nobagger

from Pa

I hear ya Randy, the flyer thing is no more for us. We have a little news paper, besides our city paper, called the penny saver and all it is are classified ads from cars to landscaping and for $39.00 a mounth its netted us about 4k, in the last 2 seasons. Its a no-brainer here because its circulates to about 115k customers.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

As is said OVER and OVER here, you have to go big numbers. 300 flyers is nothing, go 30,000 and you'll have to start a second crew!. You actually got the exact normal response, between 1-2%.

Most I ever did in the past was 1,000 my first season. I'm doing 10,000 door hangers this season (well, I should say I'm getting 10K, we'll see whether they ALL get put out or not).

I admit, I hate putting them out, but it's still my preferred method of advertising. When I do ads in the paper, I'm just turning down too much stuff because it's all over the place, too far.
    With door hangers, I pick the neighborhoods. It's all about the tight route! :)

5. nobagger

from Pa

Go Getter I have to disagree I think that if you put out 300 flyers in 2 or 3 neighborhoods and only get lets say under 5 responses I think its a waste of time. But I'm glad its working for you though, maybe this is the year it will finally work for me.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Direct mail seems to get more response...at least it did for me when I sent out flyers. I mailed out 1,000 flyers when I first started here in Florida. Those 1,000 flyers generated a 5% response (50 phone calls) and about 30 of them started service. From there it was all word of mouth advertising. I have 65 lawns that I service and I am no longer taking new accounts. I have some people on a waiting list that want to start service when there is an opening. Try the direct mail method. People are more likely to read an advertisement that they receive in the mail. Most people will never even look at a door hanger before trashing it. JMO.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The problem with 300 flyers and 5 responses is your sample size. 300 is way to small to get any kind of representative sample.

Put out 3000 and you will have an actual idea of how effective they are.

secondly, it isn't about a response in a week unless you have some kind of urgency involved. Limited time offer, discount if you sign up before April 1, free toaster with yearly contract before March 18th. It needs to be something worth while, and create a desire to act now.

8. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I must have put out about 1500 flyers last season and only got about 10-15 calls, and about 10 new jobs.

9. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like everybody is getting good response rates

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Stop and think about how much it cost you to do the 300 flyers and how much value you received. I share referrals with local LCO's and gladly pay
    $25 for a prospect that becomes a customer. Those 5 new customers of yours will bring you hundreds in annual revenue. How much would it cost you to pay a worker to distribute 300 flyers? I'd say less than $50. Would you gladly pay $50 to reap hundreds in annual revenue??? I would.