1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How good do I have it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jcamizz, May 8, 2013.

1. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It's his business. He's paid his due's. That's why he has an employee.
  2. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

How much is he actually grossing per year?

So far, it doesn't sound like it is even worth buying him out.
  3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit your job, move to Maine, and work for me!!! =D hahhaha.... I would be SOOO happy to have someone with initiative like that plus with your knowledge in gardening etc! Maybe he would give you charge of your own schedule at least, I give my guys a list of jobs to be done each week, and we pick the nicest weather days to get them done. As long as they all get done with no or very little OT I am happy, if we get no complaints I'm even HAPPIER.
  4. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

I don't know about where you come from, but around here, $15+/hr is far from peanuts.
  5. jcamizz

jcamizz LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I have spoke with a few lawncare landscape places this AM. Looks like I am making about as much as I could get anywhere else around here. I guess I will just keep trucking where I am @ now. His buisness will definatly collapse without me. He just doesn't have the energy to properly train someone else. I've collected a honda hrx kawasaki trimmer and stihl blower. Just need a decent sized walk behind and I will be ready to get my name out there and generate some clients of my own.
    I am not the type of person to steal clients but what if he does go under when I call it quits? Would it be terrible to speak with my favorite clients and let them have my number incase they are left with nobody to take care of their property?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

Sniping clients while he is still in business - Pretty underhanded and shady
    Letting clients know that you are in business for yourself after he is no longer in business - just fine IMHO
  7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Mention to him you are interested in the business. It can be as easy as paying a % of gross or net to him for next xx months.
  8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Speaking like a true politician. You are in the wrong profession. Instead of working outdoors you should be working indoors having interns planting "tulips".

Yes it would be terrible to put him under. He has been paying you well.

Get your equipment then find some new customers on your own at start part time on the side. When a fall comes and you feel ready to leave then do the right thing and tell the old man you will not becoming back in the spring but starting out on your own.

9. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

OP indicated in previous post, fired a client paying $3,600/yr and that was 3% so they would gross about $120,000/yr. If the OP is the one doing all the work, he probably doesnt need to buy the fellow out if he is 70. Time is on his side, when the old fellow "retires", one way or the other, seems the clients would want to be serviced by the OP
  10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

here in ct 15+/hr isn't anything great, most landscape foreman probably get paid almost that, but its pretty easy to find a job at a fertilizer company and make close to 20/hour plus another 20hrs of overtime which is 1.5X regular pay.