How good does the Quick 36 mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by john_incircuit, Jul 9, 2005.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We cut primarily Tall Fescue here in NC and I'm wondering if the Quick 36 is a very good mulcher even in taller, very dense 7 day old grass. Have a couple of JD 63 mowers, they mulch really well, but it is getting too time consuming now with the little mowers.

Would love to demo one, but all of our "difficult" lawns are to dry right now and I can't wait 3 month before purchasing a bigger mower.

Thanks,
    John

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

it mulches pretty well. almost as good as my lazer, but will leave a sleight windrow if you cut more the a third of the blade off.

unfortinatly, I do not cut the same type of grasses than you do, so if you E-mail gary, he may be able to set you up with some people in your area who have used the mulch kit on the same kind of grasses that you have.

3. TClawn

if the growth ever get out of hand, you just switch to side discharge. it really performs it's best on SD. it take around 3 mintues to switch. just two bolts to take off, and your ready to mow.

4. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Im in NC. It mulches great! It cuts tall grass easier with the mulch blades than the highlifts especially with the side discharge open. With the highlifts it bogs down alot faster than with the gators. But you gotta like the high lifts for the cut. I wish they would come up with something in between with a midlift and mulch in one blade!!!

5. TClawn

ok, you want to try this curb appeal? try a gator blade on the left (trim) side of the deck, a high lift in the center, and a gator on the right, for mulching. for discharging, try a gator on the left, a gator in the center, and a high lift on the right to throw the grass.

I have done all kinds of experimenting on the quick with blade combo's, and have even tried doubles (works really good for mulch, but MAJOR front end blow out, I thought it was front discharge instead of mulching when I first tried it). DO NOT, try doubles unless you have the proper adapter, and and a long enough bolt. you can't just slap them on there like you can with an exmark. the quick 36 spindles have a pilot that centers the blade, and you have to have an adapter to do it. so I repeat, DO NOT try it. if you want to give it a try, pm me, I can show you how to make the adapter.

but experiment with differant blade combo's between the gators and the high lifts. you may want a high lift on the right side too so that it will lift the clippings that are being processed to that side better.