How Good is a Stihl FS 90 Trimmer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, Jul 30, 2008.

1. The FS90 isn't rated for attachments, so it's lighter than the 110.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

The FS 100 RX is the one that's not rated for attachments. The FS 90 R is more than capable of handling attachments.

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I have the fs80 and love it. My good friend bought a fs 90 last year and he is not pleased with it at all. I think my fs 80 has a bunch more power than that 90. or so it seems. I used it a few times and was very unpleased. 2 cycles still rule for string trimmers and edgers.

4. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

I think for the ones that don't like it (FS90) just can't handle the torque and would rather have those screaming Homelite type engines.

5. j&slawnservice

j&slawnservice LawnSite Member

We used to run the fs80's and 76's before that. Then switched to Husky's 326ls, their much lighter and last a lot longer than the fs80's. As for the fs90, I checked them out and my brother bought one, the power is ok but nowhere near the husky. It's a 28cc engine on the fs90 compared to a 25cc on the Husky. I know he does large properties with a lot of fence trimming and he always wishes it turned more rpms. I'd go with a good 2 cycle or if your set on Stihl then consider the fs110, plenty of power. As for us some of our properties are pretty large and takes a couple of guys 4 hours to trim and weight becomes on issue. If you want light weight with plenty of pop try the Husky (9lbs) or the Redmax (10.4lbs).

6. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a fs90r runs great and alot of power. 3 years old now and no problems.

7. George Mason

George Mason LawnSite Member

Very good trimmer, takes a number of attachments. I have a mixed bag of power tools and the FS90 ranks as a solid performer. I was a bit skeptical of the 4 mix, but no issues at all and noticeably quieter - a good thing. As for not lasting long (as someone stated), it's a Stihl, my grandfather has two Stihl trimmers on his farm that are fifteen or so years old and still tear it up so I wouldn't worry about that too much. All the commercial brands are good, I'd do as someone already posted and buy the FS90 and don't look back.

8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

As a follow up to my previous post: I used the same engine on the 90 on my KM 90 R Edger yesterday and loved it. It seems like it would have great power for a trimmer.

9. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I use Stihl FS-110R's. I absolutely love love these machines! They are the most clean-running, balanced, powerful and torquey, trimmers that I have ever used in my 14 years of lawn care operations.

We run Amsoil Saber through them at 80:1 ratio.

ZERO Problems.

10. Sorry, I stand corrected.