How good of a mulcher is your Quick36?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

How good of a mulcher is your Quick 36? Do you use hi lift blades or gators with the mulch plate? We have mainly cool season grasses here Bluegrass mixes. Southern grasses are considered weeds by most.

Last season I ran an older aluminum residential Toro Super Recycler which is a decent mulcher and my dad owns a newer Personal Pace Toro and it mulches noticeably better. Blades look identical, neither unit has a blade brake, and the kicker wedges are identical. I'm thinking the rpm is lower on the older mower but that's a side issue. These are not the steel deck cheapies that you get at Lowes. Even independent Toro dealers are carrying the low end steel deck units. If you have a Toro commercial with kicker wedges please chime in as well.

Anyhow I need some sort of comparison of mulching performance between the Q36 and Toro Super recycler 21" Do you find that you need to slow way down when mulching. Does it leave stringers with the gators or Hi lift blades?

2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a super recycler and I accidently bent something and it lowered the rpm. But there is a flimsy piece of steel holding a spring (I think I remember right) and I just bent that back and it reved right up again.
  3. Exact Rototilling

rpm on my Toro 21", the one pictured in my avatar, has never changed in all the years I've had it. I will look into it further on how to bump up the rpm.

Mine actually has a lever mounted throttle with choke and the user has some control over start up rpm unlike many mowers now days that race upto full throttle when stone cold thus more start up engine wear.
  4. bill8379

I wish someone would chime in. I've always wanted to know how good a Quick can Mulch.

When I installed a mulch kit on my toro 36 it took me about 2 hours but the mulch kit for the Quick basically just blocks off the side discharge.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious why putting the blocking plate took more than a couple minutes? And how did the Toro mulch?
  6. bill8379

No there is much more to a Toro mulch kit then that. You have to take off a bunch off stuff (I forget what it's called) then You have to install curved plates that encircle your blades, so they are separate. I tell you it works like a charm. Even in the fall when I did clean ups I was mulching the leaves and they would practically disappear. I don't mean little bits of leaves either, I mean when I blow out the bushes and the leaves are 10 inches deep. I would plow through them and reduce the volume by I don't even know. Then run over with a 21 bagger and game over.

For normal cutting it mulches incredibly well, better them my expectations. Much Much better then any 21 I ever used.

7. Exact Rototilling

I will definitely let everyone know here at lawnsite know the good and bad of the Quick 36 when mulching. I will let you all know around April or May.

My dad's personal pace mower [not the LOWE'S steel deck cheapie] does a really excellent job. I will be very happy with the Quick 36 if it at least matches that performance level with hopefully a bit more forward speed.

I'm trying to think up ideas for marketing the mowing side of the business, such as why mulching is so much better for your lawn, but I feel a bit disarmed since I I've never seen the results of this mower personally. I don't like to offer any service unless I'm 100% satisfied with the results myself.

I never mow my own lawn that still has morning dew on it, nor will I mow grass in the rain. This pretty much rules out early morning mowings. Less moisture = better mulching. I'm a bit concerned about offering mowing for over 20 clients and I never want to cut wet grass as a solo operator. We don't live in a perfect world . . . but I don't want to offer a service to others that I would be not personally be happy with myself. And I'm hard to please. Need something done right . . . you do it your self is my motto. Nothing worse that being dissatisfied with workmanship, quality of service etc. Many commercial operators in my area and their sloppy crews leave stingers, lots of wet messy clumps of grass make a muddy mess in the low spots with their riders and sulky's and it's obvious that many of those employees are merely going through the motions of the job. I never want to get to that stage - ever. My reputation is on the line.

I'm not really sure how the mulching emphasis will work in my area since so many LCOs here haul off tons of clipping every day to the landfills green pile during the season. Lots of Walkers in my area.
  8. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion It Mulches decent not the greatest but it alright at best.