How good or bad is Gravely???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DrByrd, Nov 27, 2004.

1. DrByrd

DrByrd LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I have looked at all ztr's Bob-cat HUstler,Scag,exmark, JD,Toro, but for less money, $600 & suspension seat,4h.p.(23vs 27) not to mention headlights. Am I missing something when I keep coming back to the Gravely 260Z? P.S. I have been lurcking in the shadows for a while love this site, good info to be had here. thanxs
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

gravley is very big here. lots of 260's out there.

but I personally dunno how they cut. I don't own one and I have never demoed one.

but someone that does own a 260 absolutely butchers a church yard here.

it is a disaster when this guy cuts! I just dunno it it is the machine or the operator! :dizzy:

I have considered taking pics of this guys mowing with that 260 and posting it here it is so bad.

I have been solicited for bidding on this job HOWEVER..........I have told them not as long as they were under contract, no way.

3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

My father in law ended up buying a 252 for the exact reason. There were a decent number of extras and the price was less. He felt he couldn't go wrong. He loves it and from what I have seen it does an excellent job of cutting too.

4. DrByrd

DrByrd LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Thanks for the replies Really don't have a good chance to demo because of time of year pretty much done for season here in va.So would like to here from some of the Gravely owners on there .02 I mostly see Exmark and Scag.Also the closest gravely dealer is 30 miles v.s. the four big brands are less than 10 miles away. thanxs still UNDECIDED
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I use a machine that was built by Gravely. Its a Woods machine which is a really cheap version of a Gravely and we don't like it. I'm sure the Gravely's are good mowers though because there is as many Gravely owners on this site as their are Exmark owners. I wouldn't hesitate to consider one and demo it because they are a lot better than the Woods machine that we have, that is what several dealers have told me and I know it has to be true.
  6. ezlc2004

ezlc2004 LawnSite Member

If your concerned about location, go back to your other dealers and deal. Your in the drivers seat. I think if they want you to run their stuff the can come down $600. Especially being this time of year. However, the extras you talked about may be the big differance. Our local schools run gravely and they seem to do a wonderful job. Its a pretty big machine, i think its even bigger than the 260. Good luck
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

About 3,000 hours between the 3. Solid moneymakers, deck lift is priceless.

Weakness is the sealed (non-greasable) deck blade spindles. We have replaced at least 6 of these among 9 spindles (3 on each machine).

Quality of cut is awesome in dry grass, tall wet grass is a problem as the deck is designed to shoot clippings about 10' and with wet grass that won't happen.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My 272z is almost the same as the 260z, just i little bigger. Not too many problems to report. I've only got 325 hours on the meter. The ignition switch had to be replaced twice, once was a recall. The dealer let me keep the old switch as a back-up. The deck (mines a 72"er) has a 21" wide opening! The quaity of the cut is great. 14 gallons of fuel keeps you going a long time. Adjustable seat is comfortable. Hydraulic deck adjustment is sweet. Get one!
  9. Travis Followell

from KY

Our Woods machine has the same spindles on it as your Gravely's and we've got 554 hrs on it with no problems so far. I hope they last forever because getting parts is a nightmare because we have no Gravely dealers so they have to come through Woods.
  10. Travis Followell

from KY

We have 554 hrs on our Woods machine and they are the same spindles as the Gravely's use and we havn't had any problems yet.

What exactly does your machines do in wet grass? Does the deck clog up and won't discharge at all or will just blow out a big clump every now and then? Thats what our Woods does and it was built by Gravely.