How good were the old Dixons / Snappers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Enforcement FM, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

I am thinking of adding a larger mower to my fleet and came across a new one to me. My dealer has started carrying the Country Clippers. He told me that they use to make the mowers for snapper and for Dixon. I looked, and the Boss does look like the old Dixons. Can anyone verify that this is true? How were the old Dixons and old Snappers quality and dependability. I know, some one will say do a search. I did and most post are on the newer Dixons which look like home owner models. Thanks for the help.
  2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I would stay away from the older dixons as dixon has sold out to husky and has stopped selling parts for mowers older than 7yrs. Dont know about country clipper making mowers for anybody else, I thought dixon and snapper made their own mowers.
  3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Dixon made their own mowers but now they are owned by Husky.

Country Crippler did make some mowers for Snapper but I was not impressed at all.

I would avoid the Country Cripplers and go with a name brand mower that will be easy to service and get parts for.....
  4. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Actually you are correct, Country Clipper did make select models of Dixon and Snapper. They are fine mowers and hold up as well as ANY mower on the market (as long as you compare class for class of equipment).

As far as ThirdDay's comment on "go with a name brand"???? Country Clipper has been in business as long as Exmark, I believe they started the year after Exmark began making mowers. Only difference is Country Clipper has only made ZTR machines, nothing else. If they stayed around in this business this long I would take that for something.