1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How great is this forum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGCummings, Jun 13, 2000.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Took some time out this morning to discuss with my local dealer about a possible upgrade to a 36&quot; walk-behind, mostly on the vehement advice of my counterparts on these boards.<p>My machine arrives on Tuesday. :)<p>Turns out my Toro dealer deals in Great Dane and Exmark for the mid-size models. After looking them both over, and weighing the option of taking the Great Dane on the spot, I ordered the Exmark. It's the 36&quot; hydro walk-behind Turf Tracer HP with the floating deck. 15 HP Kaw engine. I also ordered the bagging and Micro-Mulcher kit with it. The Exmark just had more of the features I was looking for in the 36&quot;, not the least of which was the tool-less height adjustment. The dealer's a good friend, so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. This will save me from having to pull in some labor and that will pay for itself in no time, I should think.<p>I can't thank you guys enough for the advice, and for finally easing my mind about a business upgrade I've been struggling with for longer than you'd believe.<p>Now to start counting the hours... ;)<p>-TGC
  2. How much more was the 20 hp toro hydro 36&quot; over the exmark?<p>If you went with the big toro now you could<br>have picked up a $500 52&quot; belt drive in the future and change decks between machines.
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Enjoy your mower TGC.<p>How many blades?, with 15 horse you should be able to go under water with it.
  4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Glad to have helped!I'm glad you bought the exmark!I like my 36'' scag but I may look into Exmark down the road.Is it a dual hydro?Did you consider the great dane gateway????Let me know!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
  5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

good choice exmark all the way!!!!!
  6. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

&quot;how great is this site?&quot;<p>This morning over a bowl of cereal I asked my friend Tony the Tiger and he said .... it's grrreeeeaat!!&quot; and he would know!<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  7. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I haven't bought equipment for over a year but when I did, Kawasaki only made a 14.5 horse or so every dealer I knew told me that. If your motor is a 420 then it's 14.5 horse.<br>
  8. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Not trying to burst your bubble but i was checking out that machine at one dealer and he was saying how this one is light in the front end and pops up pretty easy, said to get the fixed deck, Viking. He might be full of it though, never bought anything from him except parts. He sells everything for list. The other dealer has the viking 36&quot; for $3700, sounds good but not ready yet!
  9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence, he didn't carry the bigger Toros so I couldn't price it. The Exmark had all the features I needed, though. :)<p>Toroguy, two 18&quot; blades. Not sure I'll try the underwater trick... ;)<p>Adam, yes it is dual-hydro! I didn't price the Gateway. After comparing the necessary features and prices between the two I put aside the Great Dane book altogether and focused on the Exmark. Everything about them was very close, but it was the little things that made the difference for me. :)<p>osc, you may be right about it being 14.5. Their web site and order book lists their Kaws at 15 and 17 HP but that may just be rounding out. It could very well be 14.5, which is close enough for me. :)<p>Todd, we'll see and I'll let ya know. I'm certain there will be good and bad, but I'm confident the good will outweigh any drawbacks or I shelled out a lot of money fer nuthin'. ;) That price for the Viking is about what I'm getting the Turf Tracer HP for, and it's my understanding on their web site that the Viking is the trimmed down, &quot;affordable&quot; model Exmark puts out? I think that's what I read, anyway. :)<p>Everyone, thanks again!<p>-TGC<p>
  10. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

get another scag