how greedy are they??? wage fixing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Brianslawn, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

whats a fair market annual salary for a receptionists? $15k, $20k, $30k, $40k? main duty is answering phone and scheduling. im offering one of the higher numbers listed for starting pay, but some of these women act like that is an insult. almost like they all conspired to not work for less than $60k. what do other companies on here pay their receptionists? i'm ready to ask noel to send one of the guys' wife with them. :dizzy:

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

What's up Brian,

How bout a virtual assistant? They are pretty cheap now & flexible. Check Craigslist.com

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

A real receptionist/secretary can be pricey. I've seen ads in the paper with starting wages $15-$18 an hour. You might be trying to fill the position with someone who is actually overqualified with skills that wouldnt really fall into the day to day duties of a secretary working at a landscape company. I would advertise the opening as willing to train no experience necessary, you should get more interest from people not demanding such a high wage.

4. Brianslawn

in paper i listed only receptionists, send resume. got lots of replies. lots of recent college grads, but everyone wants to start out at the top and not prove their worth it, first.

5. Sin City Lawn Care

Sin City Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If they graduated from college, they have already proved some of their worth.

Intelligence, Work Ethic, etc, etc. Not 40-60k a year, unless they have a Masters Degree in clerical work!

You need an 18-22 Year old with no ambitions/skills who is willing to learn and grow as the company does.

If they have 10-100 years of experience and/or a college degree, move on.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Geez...60k in Arkansas is probably like 100k+ in the DC area...good money to answer the phones.

I'd stick with the idea of a college age girl as an entry-level job into the working world.

Question: If she is Ms. Lawnsite material, will you pay extra??? :laugh:

7. Brianslawn

absolutely, and there will be lots of pictures posted on here!

sfl... still waitin on more pics of your girl! :laugh:

8. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I wouldn't necessarily agree they have proved anything accept they graduated college. College and real world are 2 different things, and I've seen a lot of dumb, unmotivated people graduate college. And just like everyone out of college they think they should start off making big bucks.

9. Brianslawn

its even better. most are only community college graduates!

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

my mother runs my office, she gets $650 a week, plus a few other perks like cell phone, gas card, etc.. i understand its family, but i don't think its worth more than $500 for a girl to answer phones.