1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How hard are your nipples?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by shovelracer, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Now that I got you to look, here's my problem. I have client that has 2 irrigated acres. Every week for the last 3 weeks "we" have broke a sprinkler while mowing. Problem is they are breaking at the nipples. Anyways these things arent visible and we are not clipping them. The weight of the mower must be breaking them. The system is over 10 years old and the nipples are rock hard. IMO the system needs to be updated, and although we are usually responsible for accidents these are not preventable and therefor not my fault. Any suggestions?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

my buddy installed a system a few years ago with this same problem

Toro risers were to brittle and broke almost yearly...He wrote the company,they gave him 2 bags for free....
    I think he is still replacing them...

good luck..

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

replace all nipples with swing joints?

have you dug up to see if they are actually poly nipples, could it be bad construction and they are using a solid piece as the nipple (ie less give to large mowers).

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

One word: MARLEX

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

three words

not worth it.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

They are solid. I replaced a few last year. I didnt even know about the last three till this morning. She came out livid cause her irrigation guy has been charging her $100 a pop to throw on a new nipple. Im not an irrigator, but Im more than capable of repairing a system since I worked for an irrigator for 2 years back when. I have to say that almost all my accounts are irrigated and only 1 out of every 10 even has a clue on how to properly use, maintain, or understand their irrigation system.

7. Mike Leary

Yup..............:hammerhead:

8. one word:

DITTO

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Marlex isn't much good without a swing joint.

10. Mike Leary

Words of wisdom from the water fountain.