1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how hard is it to change cutting heights on a wright stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Nov 28, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering how hard it was to change heights on a right stander, NOT the rapid height adjustment. we are talking around the 2002 models.

how long does it take?

what tools are involved?

and can one person do it easily?

thanks. chris.
  2. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

I know because of a good friend of mine has two of them, early 2000 model. Its a real pain, the only thing he changes are the bushings on the front wheel spindles. The pain is in the back of the deck. From what I saw he had the deck removed from the chasssis. He does not change his cutting heighth for no one. Sorry but I hope this helped.
  3. TClawn

well, that is one thing that I will not like. I might be able to get away not changing the back if I go between .5" increments only (which is what I do now). everything is between 2.5" and 3".
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you could probably get by with minor adjustments like that.
    Run the mower up the gate with one front wheel on, one off, change the caster spacer, repeat, then go.

But today, I'd just get the rapid height Stander.
  5. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

Yep, that's exactly what my friend does! He cuts everything @ 2.5".
  6. TClawn

I am looking at buying a used one for around $3000 total.

here is my thinking:

I may be moving real soon, I can't get rid of my lazer, otherwise it will be hard to get all my accounts done with just one 36" mower. so I can keep the lazer until my parents get and offer, and sell the lazer cheap, for $3000. or I can take it with me, and have it shipped halfway around the world, to somewhere where I am not sure that I need it.

or, I can sell the lazer now, and wait for someone who is willing to pay $4000 for it, and buy a mower to hold me over, and take that one with me. the wright stander comes to mind, as it can fit on a 4'x4' palate, and is a lot lighter than a lazer hp. so if I ship that one, it won't be nearly as expensive. when I get there, I can keep it for hills, small props, and the like.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

TC Where you born in Hawaii?? I think your Parents are NUTS:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: For moving to where it snows.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You couldn't get away with that here 2.5" all your lawns would be toast by June
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

You can easily change the cutting height 1/2 to 3/4 inche by adjusting the front castor spacers. The thing is, it is a greasy mess each and every time you change heights. I would keep the mower you have until it is really close to time to move and then sell it. Buy an new one when you get to where the new location. Shipping is gonna be several hundred no matter what mower you ship. all that maneuvering for a couple of hundred here or there just wouldn't be worth it to me.
  10. TClawn

They ARE nuts. but, I think about the old scrooge McDuck cartoons where gets the little dollar signs in his eyes. my parents want to pull all the equity out of our house, which is about $500,000. it seems a bad exchange, but it is not my decision, I work with what I have to work with.