1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how hard is it to get licensed & bonded

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by loydm689, Mar 19, 2006.

1. loydm689

loydm689 LawnSite Member

a buddy & me were doing a few resident's yards last year,now the restaurant that we work for wants us to take care of theirs.i know of two more we can get(if we were bonded). i just woundering is it worth it or should we just stick with residents?we would like to get bigger than we were last year any input would be great!living good in texas!:usflag:
  2. ESprinklers

ESprinklers LawnSite Member

Commercial accounts keep the bills paid during the winter months when the residentials drop off. As far as licensing and bonding goes, I'm not sure what the laws are in your area of Texas. Down here in Southeast Texas, there are no specific licenses that you are required to have in order to mow grass. I know this differs from town to town, but a good place to check would be with the county clerks office or with the county extension agent.

In regards to being bonded, you will set that up with your insurance company. If your going to start doing commercial, heck if your doing residential for that matter, you will need to get at a minimum liability insurance. This protects both you and the customer when mishaps occur. And they will occur, trust me. I would suggest going ahead and getting 1 million in coverage. There's not the much of a dollar difference in cost between it and lower amounts. If you shop around you can generally get it at a decent price. When we started out we were paying $400.00 per year for general liability insurance through RLI.

Good luck, and If we can be of any help let us know. Always gotta help out a fellow Texan.