How hard is it to pump 300' at 40psi?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by instyle, Mar 10, 2008.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Or should I say how expensive? This is my own yard, I am pumping out of a dug out and I have a lot of ground to irrigate. I need to pump 300' then branch off to my manifolds.
    What is my best method here? Do i need a booster pump?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Must make it tough to play baseball then. J/K

Whats your setup already in place? Source? Existing readings?

3. instyle

from Canada

I just bought the place in october. There is no irrigation there yet. Hell there is no sod yet either. I have installed many irrigation systems, but never with a pump as my source. Here is what i am working with:

Attached Files:

4. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

The linear distance is not the problem, the important distance is the vertical lift. What is the elevation change from the water level to the highest point on the property? Pick a pump that delivers the correct flow (GPM) at this head hight in feet plus 95 ft (95 ft = 40 psi).

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to put the pump as close to the water source as possible, pumps are made to push water not pull it.

6. instyle

from Canada

I do plan on placing the pump right near the dug out. I am guessing it will have to draw from 15-20', and there is no elevation change.

Any reccomendations on pumps?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Goulds J15S

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

easy as pie my good man

9. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Oh please. Jet pumps can give you much more pressure. If it's 40 psi at the heads that's wanted, a centrifugal pump won't deliver it very efficiently. Now if it's about pumping the most water with the least expense, a straight centrifugal beats a jet, but not at higher pressures.