1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How hard is the pesticide exam?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lasher66, Jan 18, 2006.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I received all my study materials from the state a few weeks ago and I have been reading quite a bit. They sent me 2 really thick books and it looks like a lot of studying. Just wondering how much you guys studied before taking the exam and how hard the exam was. Thanks

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

how many chances do they give ya to pass??
    How many times can u take the test?
  3. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

I just signed up today at the Cornell university cooperative extension. N.Y. requires a 30 hr course before taking the exam. Hopefully this will cover some of the material on the test. and explain anything I have questions on. Wish me luck.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I read everything front to back and memorized all the weeds. It is challenging but not impossible. Just prepare and you will be fine.
  5. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

Wasn't very difficult, in MA. was all multiple choice 120 questions and only needed 80 correct to pass.
  6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The NC state test is a joke! If you can read at the 7th grade level you could pass this test. Sorry, I can't comment on the Ohio test though. Just read the materials and use common sense and I'm sure you will do fine.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

CT supervisor test is very challenging if you have no experience with chemicals, they expect you to know what chemical does what; which IMO is buslhit. I failed the test by 1 point last year, i need to get around to taking it again, preferrebly before 4/1
  8. nik

nik LawnSite Member

States for the most part pull all questions from the study materials. So if its on the test, it's in there. Do any community colleges or your state ag dept offer study courses for pesticide exams. They can be very helpful if you have already studied the materials.

Just curious, how often do they offer tests in your state. In Oregon if you want to drive around the state, you could attempt a test at least once a week if not more. I lnow of one guy that went passed on his 25th attempt.
  9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

In Ohio, the local community college has the exam once a month. I didnt check to see if they offer any study courses though.

10. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Hey, BSDeality,the supervisor test is different from just a reg applicator liscence correct? I want to get liscenced just to apply fert, pesticide, and herbicide in my area (CT).

What classes did you have to take, or do they just give you matierial to study and you take the exam?