how hard to drill thru railroad ties?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Surferbum21, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

I have about 42 of em and prob have to drill through all of em. I have long enough drill bit 1/2" to put re-bar through. But I had a hell of a time sawing through them and was wondering how hard it was going to be to drill throw 8 inches of tie? thanks guys

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

use sharp paddle bit you will be fine

3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldn't be too bad, but plan on sharpening/replacing the bit in the near future. It seems those things were always covered in grit that will dull a blade or bit fairly quick. The creosote will also coat the blade and smell nasty while your working.

4. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Use a good Shankless auger bit with a good drill

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

using a quality bit and powerful drill no problems at all. Try and not let the bit drill through into soil which will dull the bit in no time.

6. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

A sharp auger/brace bit works fine on them.
    Electricians use them a lot drilling studs in walls and they are usually around 18" long depending on the size.
    But I will say railroad ties will take its toll on them so I would suggest getting the models that state they cut through nails.
    When you need to sharpen them the only way I know of is a small rat tail file. If you break off the screw tip it is over.

Oh and make sure your drill has a reverse. If the bit binds up and you don't have a reverse you will be using channel locks on the bit to back it out.

7. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Uncle buck style drill bit. (sorry couldn't resist)

8. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

You'll never make it with a "spade" style bit. Get an auger style and you're good to go.