How hard to get even more customers at this stage??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jun 15, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

just finished with college last wk and now wanting to gain even more customers... doubling what i got...... how hard is it to get them this late in the game, once mowings been goin on awhile???

any suggestions??

2. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

and I asked who maintained her yard...she said some oriental guy...I know this guy...he underbids everyone and does shoddy work...He has his whole family out with him (including his wife) and is an "in and out" rush job piece of $hit...so, I explained to the lady that I felt her yard looked terrible and that I could do a much better job...I went five dollars above the idiot for a weekly mow (Sorry, no one times, no Bi-Monthly nonsense--a true waste of time) and got the account...I love acquiring accounts from pieces of $hit idiots...At this point, I could care less if he lost all his accounts...people like this make it hard on everybody in the lawn care business and they make me sick to my stomach...he charges near to nothing on ALL yards................I make my money on hedge jobs and cleanups...weekly mows come in second...I advertise in the city paper on Sunday ONLY...I am in the process of getting a flyer together--"NOT happy with your current lawn care?"...something like that...within the last two weeks I have taken over 3 accounts from businesses that do SHODDY work...and you know something?...I think that 95 percent of lawn care businesses do crappy work...about 3 percent do average work, and the other 2 do excellent work...just get out there and do it...Get R Done...

3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

take out a bold-print, newspaper ad in the Lawn Care section:

"NOT SHOWING UP ?? NOT DOING A GOOD JOB ??" -phone #

-usually works well time of year.

4. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i'm in the same boat. just finished spring semester about 3 weeks ago and was looking for more work. what worked for me was on some of the yards i've done for a couple of years, i've always been friendly to my customers' neighbors. it worked out for me 2 weeks ago. about to start trimming one of my yards and the neighbor comes out and asked about me starting to do hers. it actually made me feel good because it's in a more upscale neighborhood and i've seen at least 5 other crews in that same neighborhood, and all of them do good jobs. word of mouth works well. talk to your customers and see if they know of anyone in need of a "good lawnservice." if they're good customers, they're usually glad to help you out. (at least that has been my situation). good luck

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Plenty of business out there now that it is hot and the wimps can't hack it. It's actually easier to get new customers signed up now than in the spring, since it's cool out and seems so easy compared to now when it's miserable. They are paying my price w/o batting an eye now. They have also had a chance by now to see how well their "cheap" guy worked out (he quit showing up).

6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I was out flyering today and I signed up three people. The third one was in the middle of doing his yard and when I told him what I was selling, he looked like I had just rescued his dog from a burning building.

7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Its very possible, I picked up 4 accounts just this last week. 3 of them switched over from another LCO. 2 of them were neighbors. And 3 of the 4 went with a fert program as well. It seems I have picked up more accounts average per week during June than in any other month yet. Definietely still business to be had.

Kevin