how hard

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Apr 17, 2006.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

how hard is it to really mess up when trimming bushes.Ive seen people do it all the time and it doesnt appear to look that hard. So i took a job on with the guy wanting me to trim all his bushes.can anyone give me tips or anything to help me out because this guy will only want the best being he is very wealthy and what not

2. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Take your time if you've never done it before. Take off as little as needed to keep the bushes looking full and make sure the trimmer your useing is sharp.

3. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

ok thanks it doesnt even look like there is alot to take off. there is only a couple random brances that are poping out of the bush

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can really screw it up if you don't know what your doing.But if it is just random branches sticking out..jut cut them even with the rest of the shrub and cut to an outside bud.Don't cut off thee whole branch K?

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Like they said take your time and sharp blades,and cut them all the same.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well, if you have been in business for 6 years like your profile says, and never been asked to trim any bushes/hedges before, that is amazing. we get many many requests each year for trimming.
    anyhow, the best way to learn is practice. find some bushes (any kind at this point) that can be your guinea pig.. in your own yard or else a nice relative that will let you practice on theirs. the more you do it, the more confident you will become. how did you bid this job, must have been tough to estimate how long the job will take.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Whoo Rahh..

8. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

i have been in the buissness for 6 years but i was on a mowing crew and that was all so i never got to experianc esome of the simple things in the buissness until now that i have gone out on my own

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

there is a very big differernce between working for someone, and being in business......good luck..... (spell check)

10. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

You mean you were ONLY experiencing the simple things. If trimming the bushes was simple you wouldn't have had to ask about it. :)