How has the recession effected your business?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ConPro, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

I try not to think about it, to many other things to worry about. But how has it effected you and/or your company?

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

What recession? ... So far...

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Not here in my area went out gave 9 bids today got 6.

4. No recession but a prolonged drought-
    It brings out the marketing geniuses
    I'm thinking they saw the little yellow rollback guy on walmart commercials- BTW- these aren't newbies, always been low but:dizzy:

lowballer flyer.jpg

5. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

That's crazy
    Better to be an idol fool than a busy one
    :sleeping:

6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I've lost 4 acct's so far. Either they lost their job or took a demotion to avoid layoffs. I think it's going to be a tuff season.

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The fall / winter after Sept. 11, 2001, was our busiest ever for that time of year.

We had a 25% increase in business revenue last year in 2002, putting most of the increase into tools and advertising.

We are busy right now. Or, hoppin'

:blob3:

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i heard an interesting talk about the recession at UConn the other day. the head of the connecticut grounds keepers came in to talk to my turf topics class, and he said usually recessions dont hurt LCO's as much. His theory, (at least in this market), is that normally you are servicing accounts of people higher up in the chain of command at businesses, who usually dont get laid off. Even if they do get laid off, they dont have time to be cutting their grass. he said you have to cater to peoples demands during recession, and that means create new services if needed to offer them. he also said, there is no reason you should ever lose a sale. you dont lowball anybody, but just make your services clear, and go a step above the rest to please the customer. he was a very good speaker, and ran a landscape business for a few decades. just thought id pass along some of the info he lectured us on. it was a good speech

9. Recession has really effected me yet. Alot of factories here have closed up in the last 6 months so I expect there will be a bigger than normal group of players this spring. I feel sorry for guys with a severe drought. I know that hurts.Some of you guys will really be hit by high gas prices this summer.

mdb landscaping- very nice.Something we can learn from from and practice on

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I re-signed 98% of my customers for this year. I lost a couple due to their financials, they were kind of shakey anyway. I have a high percentag of senior citizens and they don't seem to be that concerned, they have to have stuff done anyway. I'm getting calls for maintenance but very few calls about new installations or renovations. It seems to me that people are in a holding pattern.