How have y'all handled this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartlawnmain, May 8, 2004.

1. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

The mowing season's in full bloom here and I just don't have enough customers. I'm wondering if it's too late to put out flyers again. Seems like most everyone would aready have an LCO. Should I just focus on lawns that look "needy" and vacant/"for sale" homes in hopes of getting the new owners or hit 'em all just like it was the beginning of the season? All my jobs I have now came from flyers put out in Feb and early March.
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

If you need the work put 'em out. Now is the time when you can really pick up some accounts because some LCOs can't handle their work load (or just plain s#ck) and are neglecting customers. Use all your spare time to advertise... good luck!
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

pretty much agree. I have been in the sucky part. do I keep my prices premium and not pick up many or do I lower. Well after the last couple of years I keep premium because those in need bite the bullet for quality work. This means every 5 and dime that was out ther has shown true color and they come for quality now. pay the price and not worry about it till next year. Yep I get relived of my duties of about half of my customers come december but come may and june pick up them and others at premium prices again. Just keep advertising cause no one else is. good luck.
  4. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

It is never too late to pick up work. When the weather gets real hot John Q. Homeowner starts to think it may be better to pay someone else to cut the grass in 90 + temps. Put the flyers out. You will continue to pick up new customers.
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with KL, it is never too late, some home owners just don't know when to start cutting and others are unhappy with their current LCO, so put the flyers out, at the minimum it could lead to other work.
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Business slow? I bought about 250 hangtags and when I was mowing the other day, I noticed a neighbors house with the lawn that was a little high so I went over and knocked on the door. No one home, so I placed a hang tag on the knob. Next day, I got call. Went there and she gave me all kinds of work!! $200 to prune a few trees, $65 for an intial cut (Heavy grass) and a long term mowing at $38 a pop!!

Tomorrow, I cruising the housing areas and getting off my butt and knocking on doors!! Look for grass that's either high, or poorly mowed and start knocking. Every time someone says "No Thanks" then you are that much closer to "Yes Please!":)
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you want new clients, make your current clients lawns look perfect. the edging and trimming is what will make a difference. next, in the months of april and may, cut your clients on saturday and sunday. make up some cr@p that it is only temporary, tell them by the end of may, you'll be comming on other days. you would be AMAZED at how many new clients you will get this way. i went out yesterday to areas i usually do on thurs and friday. i got 2 new ones signed on the spot, and 5 others pending.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Have referral discounts to your current customers for new clients, or even go door to door. Make sure to have some literature about your company to handle out

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I agree with the heat comment. I get a lot of lawns when it gets into June - August because of the 100 degree weather (east TX). Gets really hot!
  10. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Thanks y'all!! Bobby, that's a good idea too about Sat. and Sundays. It also seems like most of my accounts are in cul-de-sacs or dead ends so they get very little notice from the neighbors. I do some 1/2 million $ homes and they're all tucked away so I get no visibility. Also, I think I will go ahead and get some more flyers made up. Thank you for your support!