How have you got most of your Comm. Properties?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vamcars2000, May 20, 2011.

1. vamcars2000

vamcars2000 LawnSite Member
    from texas

How have you guys gotten most of your commercial properties? I dont do many flyers, but i do have my company name listed on google. I have gotten alot of yards that way. But I was thinking about getting a website made, and spend some money on SEO. Or do yall just do cold calls. I know there is no magical way of getting commercial properties,( as in the post from earlier) just want to know what works for you.
  2. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only commercials I have are companies that are owned by my residential customers. 1/2 of them are just to much of a PITA to deal with. Most of the time they are looking for the most amount of work for the cheapest price. No thanks.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I put in a ton of estimates for full grounds maintenance on some commercial properties this year and when I heard the bid numbers, I just said thanks for the opportunity to bid and good luck to you.

I just can't believe the numbers I've been seeing for commercial properties. One bid for the entire season equaled my input cost (for materials/fuel/etc.) before my labor cost was added in.:hammerhead:
  4. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I got my commercials ironically from playing basketball. I'd been playing pick up games at the Gold's Gym here at night with a bunch of guys. After a couple weeks, I ended up getting to know some of these people, one of them happened to be an engineer and recommended me to the property owner of the office buildings he worked at as he knew they needed someone to maintain a new office building.

Can't say this is the "norm" and I've never approached and submitted bids to commercial places, but you can't beat the word of mouth.
  5. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one commercial that I am starting in June...I know the property manager from another line of work/hobby and he wanted to help me get my feet wet- "in order to catch the big fish"....
    I saw a guy mowing all the CVS around here...ran over all the trash golf ball sized and smaller....he had a junked out JD and a bunch of stihl homeowner handhelds....made our industry look really bad-
    Its not about the quality or the nice setup in commercial work...its the LOW bid that affects the bottom line...