How helpless is an enclosed trailer in snow??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GarPA, Dec 3, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Well as you know the Northeast is in for snow this weekend. We're getting more into snowthrowing this year and have 3 machines to carry around. I had planned to build new ramps this weekend but with the snow coming I wont have it done in time. In 3 years I've never had a reason to pull the enclosed trailer in anything more than and inch or 2. Even with dual axle trailer brakes it seems to want to jacknife real eas.

I would imagine these things would be a hassle to pull in any amount of snow over a couple inches right???

I think I see a hernia in my future this weekend..
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

tire chaines on the trailer?
  3. GarPA

from PA

nope...based on the forecast I can use the single stage blowers and leave the 2 stagers parked. The single stage'ers I can lift in and out ....with a few grunts of course
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've pulled an open 22ft and a 32ft. camper through snow and it was bad once in a storm. The hardest part is taking off from a dead stop even with a 4x4. Slow and steady you will be O.K. I plan on pulling Tracs to snow belt this yr. so I'll be towing in plenty of it myself.

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not run up to Northern tool or AutoZone and buy a ramp kit for $15-20 and a couple of 2x8's? Should take you 15 minutes to assemble.
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW: I would never even think about pulling my enclosed in even the lightest snow.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

sled (snowmobile) heads pull big enclosed trailers in the snow all the time. you just have to be careful.
  8. GarPA

from PA

hey thanks guys ...I was going to re-start this thread this morning...last year I bought a set of aluminum ramps in which I then cut some plywood inserts and bolted them in the ladder-like channels. THey were about $90 and they are too steep to use actually.

Barkley...can you tell me a little more about the AutoZone ramp kit? what is included?

I'll post back here today (if I dont crash and burn ) after I;ve run the trailer in a few inches for you guys who've not run your enclosed in snow. I dont have any steep hills to travel and I;ll be extremely careful until I find out how it is to stop this thing. It does have dual axle trailer breaks. The key (I think) will be to adjust the elec brakes so they come on not too fast or slow.

Frankly I'm a little nervous about it...but I'll take it easy
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nervous? I'd be as nervous as a w**** in church! Better watch yourself Gary...
  10. GarPA

from PA

actually it did much better than I thought...2ndary road had a couple inches wet snow. I played with it in a shopping center b4 I hit the roads. Hit the brakes pretty hard and it sat down pretty good when I put the truck in neutral. In Hi 4 wd never spun a tire from a dead stop. Had allot of weight in the trailer.

But I parked it about an hour ago. If there was deep snow, theres too much dead weight back there to drag up a hill.

Actually I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled.

you REAL men have dump trucks....we scrubs have pick-em-ups....someday when I;m too old to be in this business (which is about 5 minutes from right now) I'll own one of those god awful ugly dumpers.