how high do i mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foo569, May 21, 2001.

1. foo569

foo569 LawnSite Member

right now i am currently mowing my lawns at about 3 inches and i am being told by several people that i am cutting my lawns too high. i am not sure on what to do .

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of grass are you mowing? I cut mainly St. Augustine and cut 2.5-3.5 inches. People down here like it cut high right now because of the drought that we are experencing. Your height sounds about right to me.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I mow the shortest at 2.5" and up to 3.5 right now. Let them know the benifits of mowing longer in the summer. It helps hold moisture and the longer you cut the grass, the deeper the roots grow. Cutting below 3" for most grass in heat is not good. Educate the customer.

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

trimmer i mow all ST.Augestein at 4.5 or 5 inches..never shorter.Im near Tampa.

5. your in jersey? keep it at 3" that is the ideal height around here.

6. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I always mow at 3". If you go any lower especially during the dry season, the grass will die. It also may make it look like it has been scalped. You want the grass nice and lush so you can walk on it. Cutting it too short makes the ground feel like concrete.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say a good rule of thumb is ....no more than 1/3 of total length :->

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

spring and fall i keep mine at 3" and summer at 3.5 to help keep it shaded and like eric elm said for the roots, and as the others said so that it doesn't get burned out. mostly kentucy blue here.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm mowing mine anywhere from 2.5 to 3 inches. I'm on setting "D" on my Toro and I haven't measured the exact height. I feel that if I jack it up to the highest setting, it looks too long. Anybody know off hand about how high setting "D" is on a Toro 21"? Thanks.

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I've been mowing at 4", 2 weeks ago due to the lack of rain I have started mowing the fescue at 4.5", they are the only one's that still look decent. :(