How hot is too hot??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by green with envy, Jul 17, 2005.

1. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Hi guys I have this NEW customer that is trying to sell his house...

Lots of clover and quite a bit of crabgrass. He swears he will be able to put the water too it if I can get rid of the weeds. We have been having very high temps here lately upper 80's lower 90's. I told him if we get some time in the 70's I would try to spray broad and some long leaf killer but I can't promise anything with the strange year we have been having.

I guess my question for you guys is what temp would you even try to do this?

Mid Michigan the lawn is creeping red fescue, perennial rye and Ky Blue.
    I told him it would be better to wait till the fall but you know how people are!!!

Thanks,

Mike

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Read the labels. Most say do not apply over 85 degrees.

3. mertzmertz

mertzmertz LawnSite Member

Drive will control both crabgrass and clover. Adding the metholated seed oil is very important. We don't spray this if the temperature is over 82 degrees.

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure how cool your weather can get in Michigan in the summer but I would say it is to late. You run a good change of killing the grass. READ the labels for whatever product you use. Grass dies than he will hold you libel. A customer can promise he will water the yard but how much or will he really do it.

Are you licensed to do fertilizer/pesticide? If not then your insurance will not cover the cost of replacing the grass if it dies since you were applying chemicals illegally without a license.

5. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, great question. We use Speedzone for broadleafs. It says to use it under 80 degrees. Works best when weeds are growing and not in drought stress. I was told by a rep if we sprayed over 80 degrees we should use Surge. Same stuff but a Ester formulation I believe rater than a Amine formulation. My question is this, If its 65 degrees and I know its going to hit 90 that day, can we spray the amine in the morning when its still cool knowing that in 3 hours it will be well above 80? And if you do spray an amine when its over 80, what happens? Grass dies? Does not work? And before any of you guys ask, yes to the license and no it was not in any of my formal training, yet. PR

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray it in the morning and you'll be fine.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

This was my question also. AND, if you can spray early in the day (or even in the evening), how much time must it stay below 80? to ensure good knockdown?

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I spray when its in the mid eighties all the time. If I get a new customer in the middle of the summer, I will apply a weed/feed right away. I explain that a fall application will also be needed. Control may not be 100% but it will most likely be at least 70-80%. If temps are approaching 90 I will back off. The customer does not want to wait until fall.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as said herbicide dries on the foliage before the temperature reaches X degrees, everything will be fine.

Even in the Summer you can normally spray herbicides early in the morning. BUT, I still use a conservative rate on the herbicide. This is not a time to go heavy.

Ester formulations will become very volatile in the heat, Amine is what you need now. Most of your Three-Way types can be sprayed up to 85, Surge can go to 90.

But if your customer has crabgrass and clover, Drive would be a great choice. Only one chemical needed.

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member