How hungry were you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodzilla, Jan 11, 2004.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

This spring will be my first year in the business. I've been planning and making arrangments, getting pesticide certification, talking to local vendors and checking out equipment and a lot of research here on lawn site. I just got laid off from my full time job where I made $46,000 this past year so I'm glad I have everything ready for the lawn care business, just wish I could've stayed working until March. Just wondering how hungry were you guys when you first started? How far did you travel for jobs? Did you concentrate on one area or go wherever you could find work?

Thanks for your replies
    Brian

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

i was starving, went anywhere the money was green.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I go where the work is. I live in a small town and the work starts at 30 mile away up to 50 miles. I would rather live in the country and drive to work than live in the citys where the works at personal preference and I've been doing it long enough that it seem normal to have an hr. drive both ways. If your just starting out you better plan on taking it where you can get it. Good Luck

Mac

4. AGLawnCare

AGLawnCare LawnSite Member

went far but remember the goal is to have an area thatÂ’s not to spread out so be careful where you pick up clients

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Brian since your doing fert/pest applications I need to get your number so you can do my customers I dont get into doing that stuff.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I went anywhere i could get work at the first year. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Since I started very part time for the first couple o' years, I was not that hungry and able to slowly add work in the area I wanted to be in. Not that hungry at all, but compared to today, a lot poorer.

:D

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Same as mtdmaster. but still a P-timer

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Within some justifiable limit, I went wherever there was work. I also took into consideration the size of the job(s) and future work in that area as well.

10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

still running part time, I will pretty much take any jobs I can come across, and then as time goes on, I will decide to replace the longest drives or least money makers with new clients. But until I get to that point, there is no luxury in deciding, I will work wherever.