1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How I buy skid steer tires

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I saw shovelracer's pictures with his skiddy bopper with tires with no teeth!

I buy new tires and wheels complete. Mounted.

I think last year I got each tire with wheel for $180 each, maybe it was $185, can't remember.

I buy these direct from the CAT dealer.

They are called "take offs". They are new tires and wheels. Maybe driven from the plant onto the tractor trailer, then from the tractor trailer and around the dealer's yard. Until someone buys a machine and upgrades to different wheels.

They have a whole warehouse full of take offs. Our Cat dealer even employs a sales rep who's job is to sell take off's and attachments.

This is the way to buy skid steer tires. You dont have to cart the machine into the tire place for them to dismount and mount tires. You save money. And you accumulate spare wheels/tires. I have enough spares that I could foam fill 4 of them for working around rebar and metal.

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea. I hadn't really thought about tires since I haven't bought any yet but a buddy of mine who sells tires he could give me a good deal , 800 for the set installed at my shop .. But I like the idea of having extra rims..

(let's start a heated discussion on new vs used tires and which are better!!!!)
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Great tip !....but real machines have tracks... hehe :waving:
  4. DVS Hardscaper

Thats just it! $200 / tire is pricey! When you can get the whole sh-bang for less!

5. DVS Hardscaper

We got 2 rubber tire, 1 tracked loader, and a 35 hp tractor with loader. I perfer the rubber tire loaders over the tracked, softer ride, cheaper maintenance.
  6. i've bought four wheeler tires that way, but not skid steers.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

Yup! The CAT dealer here is huge. I haven't looked lately but I think they have 9(?) locations. They have Take-Offs from backhoes, skid steers, large wheel loaders, yadda yadda yadda.

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Last year I bought three tires for my machine and never got around to replacing the last one. Of course it goes on the job last week. I take it to a shop, guy on phone quoted me $225 and then the parts guy says that's not for the heavy duty side wall, looks it up and says oh it's only $229. I bs with the guy and sign the receipt without even looking at it. Go to put it in my quick books this week, not only did they charge me $299 for it they charged me 40 bucks to put it on. Wtf? Don't even mind the labor charge since I needed it right then, but still what a screw job. Not even going to go thru the hassle of trying to get my 75 bucks back, but I'll never step foot in that place again. DVDs please share the name of this dealer or pm me.