How I did it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rbig, Aug 11, 2006.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Went out to change the blades on our 60" Lesco ZTR.

First problem was that the spindle nuts were 1 1/8". Had to go to the store and get a socket that size.

Next, I put my trusty electric impact wrench to hammering away. To my amazement, those nuts wouldn't bust loose. No problem---on to the air impact. Guess what? That wouldn't bust 'em loose either.

What to do.

What I did do was get a long breaker bar, and a 4' pipe cheater handle. The big probelm, of course, is how to hold the blades while you romp on the breaker/cheater bar. Nothing I tried in the way of jamming techniques had enough purchase to hold against the breaker/cheater bar.

I ended up fetching a piece of chain. One end went around a front axle, the other around whichever blade I was on. This gave me the purchase I needed. Once the nuts budged, I was able to run 'em on off with the electric impact.

Hope this helps someone.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You shouldn't be putting them on so tight you can't get them off. For 3 years I always put blades on with an air impact, never had an issue.

3. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

You're right about them being on too tight. However, that was done before I got into the picture. I really don't do much more than just snug up spindle nuts--because they tighten some with rotation.

These things were like they were welded on, for some reason.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Gotcha, fixing someone else's mistake, eh?

5. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Hey---all in fun, huh?

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Leverage, leverage leverage. I have been putting blades on for over 17 years, with only arm muscle. Never had a single problem, especially removing them...

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

bump....

rbig, I had the same problem with my toro 48", the first time I changed the blades was at the end of its first season:laugh: yeah I know, what the hell was I thinking -guess I liked the dull blade look.

anyway, after doing much the same thing, I now sharpen every week, and use Fluid Film! No more problems.