How I Do Leaf Cleanups

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by corey4671, Nov 22, 2012.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I try to use the wheel blower as much as possible and then just use the backpack to WORK out corners and tight spots.

If you haven't seen my aeration video, I did it along the same lines with the Benny hill music and the video sped up to 4x speed
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

When you're using the wheel blower, try using the backpack at the same time, like I said shooting under the wheel blower handlebar. You've got it on your back anyway, may as well use it. No?

3. corey4671

I've tried it. It gets my back all in a bind.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. corey4671

I wish my wheel blower output was on the other side. Then the ability to use both would be more ergonomic
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Darryl G

Ahhhh...ok. Understood. I don't suppose you sometimes trim with your backpack blower on too. I do that on a couple of jobs with really long curb lines.

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

wow thats alot of time spent carrying the backpack while not using it-I set mine down when I grab the little wonder for extended periods of time-and sometimes I position the wheeled blower behind me while using the backpack. Pretty cool vid, though, wish leaf cleanup really went that fast!

7. corey4671

That's typically what I try to do is keep the wheel blower behind me especially when the pile gets big.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. corey4671

No, I don't do that. I'll use the mower a lot of times to blow off curb lines
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

How long did it take you start to finish? Is that a employee helping rake them to the vac?

10. Darryl G

One thing I'd suggest, use a steel or aluminum rake to move the leaves at the pile when feeding the vac. You can just push or pull them that way and take one stroke for every 5 strokes it takes with a leaf rake. The same thing goes for you guys loading tarps. I prefer a 24 or 36 inch aluminum landscape rake most of the time or an 18 inch level-head rake if the leaves are soggy.