how i got started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fordsrule, May 29, 2004.

1. fordsrule

fordsrule LawnSite Member

I started mowing my moms and dads lawn when i was 10. Then when I was 13 one of my dads friends found out i was mowing lawns so he told me about his next door neibhor who needed her lawned mowed so i started doing that lawn. Now im 14 and mowing 3 lawns. I bought a used Toro 38'' ride on lawn mower a 21'' mower, Both ran like new. I have one question though I need a weed wacker but i have a limited budget of $150 that i saved for buying a weed wacker. I was thinking of a Weed Eater Feather lite but my dad said I wouldnt like it. Any Ideas thanks in advance for any help.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

first of all....

FORDS SUCK

Second of all....you would be fine with a weedeater like that. i have a homelite as a backup and after using a real weedeater like my Stihl i would hate to have to use the homelite on ANY lawn anyday of the week. If you can save up a couple more bucks buy a stihl...

Trevor

3. fordsrule

First Thanks for the information Trevors Lawn Care.

second Whats wrong with Fords? (not trying to start a war)

4. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

Where are you in Mass? If you only doing three lawns you could use a cheap trimmer but if you plan on growing you will want a commercial trimmer.

5. fordsrule

I'm in the Worcester county area. I only need the trimmer to last until i can get my license and then i will get something more commercial grade.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

fordsrule, save up and buy the best first because its going to cost you more in the long run. if you ever want to expand you'll have to buy a commercial trimmer anyway, so save up a little longer and get a really good machine that will last. take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

a shindaiwa t231 should be perfect for you needs

7. fordsrule

Thanks for the information. Buying a string trimmer has been put off until I can save up some more money to get a good commercial string trimmer.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

My rule of thumb is never buy anyting that is not commercial (unless it is a backup).

DON'T buy a weed eater.

Keep saveing your money and get a Red Max.

I just got a Red Max BCZ2600S It is a fantastic machine!!!!!!!

9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

what part of worcester county are you in, I want to know my competition. Get a straight shaft comm weedwhacker that can have attachments, removable shaft or w/e so later you can buy an edger, power broom, saw and bush trimmers for it. I am in central worcester.

10. fordsrule

I'm not much competition considering and I'm only 14 and only mowing three lawns.:)