1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How I squeeze my 60" DC through a 36" Gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I can answer a whole bunch of threads on this one post. Yes I do mow my neighbors lawn,(for the do you mow your neighbors lawn thread) but it only has a 36" gate into the back yard and the back yard is pretty good sized. (To answer big mower, little gate) It was way to big to mow with the 21" and the next smallest deck is 60". It is a 6 foot high wooden fence around the whole thing, so since I was a carpenter, I went over to the other side of the house and there is an eight foot section of the wood fence that I made into a gate. I put an angle brace on it to keep it square and from droping down so it would drag. I put hinges and a latch that the owner furnished and it doesn't even look like a gate and I can use the Choppers to mow it with my double blades (answering the double blade thread) that I sharpen with my RBG grinder (answering how I sharpen blades) and I do put stripes in it with my striping kit. (to answer striping ?'s thread)

The moral of this story is, even if there is a fence, you can make a bigger gate if the owner will allow it and it only took me about 1/2 hour to do this and it has saved me many hours of mowing time. I have widened other places too in the past and the owners have always furnished the material. Hope this helps at least one person.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-14-2001 at 10:18 PM]
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

just goes to show .....where there's a will there is a way ;-)

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

How bout a foldable ramp made out of allum.. that could go over most fences.......
  4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

We have one account where we just take the whole 8' section of 4' high fence right of the post. We just bring a hammer with us, pop the fence off cut the grass and pop the fence back into the same holes. The customer still can't figure out how we get those big mowers in there =)
  5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Step 1: Make a relatively tall ramp and placed it just before the fence.

Step 2: Back up the Dixie Chopper 20 feet or so from the ramp.

Step 3: Now push it to full throttle,(we all know how fast those Dixie's go!), and aim for the ramp.

Step 4: Enjoy your flight!

Step 5: Caution, landing may be rough, but won't it be worth it?!?

Repeat steps 1-5 in order to get you Dixie Chopper out of the fenced area.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

ye......ha...... yea eric ask to use the jet chopper for a jump they can use it in an ad.vaarrrooom...
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have sat on the Jet Choppers, both of them. I have the pictures of them on my site. The one with the Stainless Steel deck is the one Tim Allen drove on Home Improvement. :) I miss that show.
  8. jimsny

jimsny LawnSite Member

Think Win/ Win!!!

I've got a yard I wanted to keep and the owner wanted to keep me so we split the cost of installing a wider gate. We both enjoy it now and it was a wise investment for the both of us.
  9. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Good ideas all.. We usually don't bid on properties with chain link fences because we don't want to deal with those. But all of our fenced in lawns have wooden privacy fences or picket fences. They are both easy to move out of the way to move in. The majority of cutstomers would love a larger gate in the back and then we can also make money on the deal. Not too shabby..

I'm running the nitros on the lazer now and building my ramp just in case though :D
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I do my in-laws lawn,they have a 36" gate too,so they put a sleeve in theground on the post across from the gate i pop it up,and in 5 seconds Im in, with the dixie 60".

[Edited by John DiMartino on 02-15-2001 at 09:28 AM]