how important is business name?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mayhem69, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! It does have a VERY "different meaning for some folks".

Not too long ago, "Lawn Jockey" was fairly commonly used as a seriously offensive racial slur.

It's about as bad as Keith, Kevin & Ken using their initials for their Tree Service.
  2. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

Yeah well that sucks. Can't we all just get along...

D-railed thread sorry.

I think you should find the biggest search term and name your business that. "City Lawn Care"
    or at least buy the domain.

Then your brand can be whatever. joes lawn care. com then forward that domain to the money site. Citylawncare .com
  3. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

yes, people are telling me not to use GreenXtreme. I cannot use my last name though because it is Staniszewski.
    So i may just go with Ed's Lawn and Landscape Service.
  4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

How about

Edmund's Pro Lawn Care
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

its Edward, how about Ed's Lawn and Landscape??
  6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you.

I actually like that. It's not taking yourself too seriously. It gives visions of an actual jockey, flying along on his horse (mower), gettin' it done. Plus, it's easy for people to remember and rolls off the tongue well.

I used to work for an established business that a whole family purchased. Dad was the kingpin and arrogant as all get out. The spoiled son used to pick up slang and would come in using it, like he was something cool. He picked up "cracker" off a CB radio. Being a truck driver of 18yrs, I had to enlighten him to it's true meaning. :hammerhead:

That is seriously bada$$. You should add that to your vehicles, somewhere around you company logo.

That's, actually, a great idea. Someone, in one of the huge pic threads, is called "Basic Lawn Care". His truck and graphics are simple, black and white. He has his business name all the way down the truck with just a phone number. It looks really clean and simple.

Personally, I don't like GreenXtreme, as "Extreme/Xtreme" was a fad that came and went. And, what is extreme about you or what you do, anyway?

What's wrong with Staniszewski? It's your heritage, man! It's distinctive. It's YOU. Even if they can't pronounce it, they'll know who you are because of that (and, hopefully, great work). To me, it sounds better than plain ole' "Ed's Lawn....". You're a lot more than just "Ed". C'mon, man!!!! :laugh:
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

^^^ this.

If you intend to be solo, the name is irrelevant. Quality of service is far, far more important.

I've done this for nearly 18 years, and never had a name. My intent was to remain solo. After the first couple of months, I've always had more work than I could handle, ... all without a name. I always have business cards on my person, and the card only has my name, address, and phone number. Networking and referrals will get you all the work you need for a small operation.
  8. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

so your saying to use Edward Staniszewski's Lawn and Landscape?
    i dont know, no one can even pronounce my last name!
  9. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

EdStan Lawn & Landscape

Ed and Stan's mowin' co
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

KInda reminds me of the trucking co " a dewie pyle" as in we had Mexican for dinner last night and this morning I made A dewie pyle.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.