how important is business name?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mayhem69, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

A bit off topic here, but the funniest company slogan goes to Todoroff Bros.

"The #1 company in the #2 Business"

Joke? They do sewage & septic pumping! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

You forgot your middle name! :laugh:

How about "Zewski's Lawn and Landscape"? It distinctive and still YOU.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Short name helps I know if I see some polish name with 15 letters I am never gona spell it and thus will not look them up on the internet later to set up an appointment. The guy that does my tree work has such a name but was smart enough to slice that down to just 3 letters The WAZ.

You can point to successful companies that used last names and those that wanted the name to describe what it was. Ford is a last name GM isn't. Walmart was part last name Target is not. Brickman's is huge in this trade but US lawns or Trugreen or Weedman are also huge and didn't use a last name.

So the point is you can go either way and make it work. The names I would avoid are the ones that sounds cool to a 20 year old man/child. I get it it sounds great to you when you have Extreme this, or Ultra that, in the name. But your not marketing to 20 year olds your going after homeowners and they tend to be over 40. And a 40 year old is going to call Ed long before he calls Awesome lawns.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What if the 40 yo is having a mid life crises and wants to feel extreme and ultra :)

I like traditional names, but I'm old fashioned
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

There is a septic company in my area that has your's beat by a mile trees too.... It is called Morrisonville Septic... And there logo is... "Your #2 is our # 1 !!!!

6. Trees Too

NICE!!!!:terribletowel::laughing::p:clapping:

7. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

so you think Ed's Lawn and Landscape is OK? It seems kinda bland to me., what about Edski's Lawn and Landscape? that used to be my hockey nickname.

8. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

how about EdSki's Lawn and Landscape? that used to be my hockey nickname

9. Trees Too

Yeah...you have to watch out for those unintended, yet racially offensive business names.

For example: look back at how "Sambos" had to change to "Dennys".
    Or more recently how "Beaners" had to change to "Bigby"

10. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

You're a ding dong. Denny's was never Sambo's. Denny's may have purchased some of the old sambo buildings- but not a name change. Sambos is still a restaurant. The original is the only one open.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.