How important is horsepower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rookie, May 16, 2001.

1. Rookie

Rookie LawnSite Member

I'm currently trying to chose between a Dixie Chopper (20hp Kohler), Scag Turf Tiger (23hp Kohler) and a comparable Exmark (18hp Kohler). All will be equiped with a 52" deck. I have demoed the Dixie and the power seemed fine. Is there a noticeable difference with more or less horsepower? I'll be cutting anything from lawns to light brush. Any other advice is welcome in helping me make the best choice. Thanks!

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if your exmark is like mine it has is same as 20 kohler
    with a screw added to stop the throttle at 18 hp.
    you just tunscew it so it makes no contact and wala its a 20 hp

3. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

Always go with the most HP, more is better

4. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I'd go with the 20hp Dixie. It should be more than sufficient for a 52" deck. Also, there have been alot of negetive posts about Scags quality of cut. Good luck, Russ

5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I always want MORE POWER !!!!! (but NO BRUSH.....heavy or light)

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Always go big!! Better to have too much power than not enough. My 52 Laser has the 23 Kaw on it. I wouldn't even think of something smaller..

7. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Did you say BRUSH ? You're going to cut brush with a brand new $6-8000 ZTR? The main thing you'll need to worry about will be belt slip under really tough conditions. And... watch out what's in that brush! (rocks, stumps, etc.) :eek: You can really mess up a piece of equipment on them--even if you'd swear that you walked over it really well. Our Bob-Cat 48 inch does fine with a 19 HP kawasaki. We have cut some pretty tall grass with it--about 8-12" (w/double reg. lift blades) and it does great.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have had 2 Choppers with 60" decks and the 20 did OK. I still have a 22 hp Kohler powering a 60" deck on a Chopper and it does better, but I also have a 26 hp Yanmar diesel on a 60" Chopper and it is even better in tall thick grass. More hp is better, but a 20 should handle the 50" deck on that Dixie Chopper just fine.

9. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'll agree with Eric, there's no substitute for horsepower. I just added my second suburb'n turb'n to my fleet. These machines have 6.7 horspower/ft. of cut. I believe the only machine with a better hp to cut ratio is the 50 hp dixie powering the 72" deck, but I'm happy until I get the diesel. Lynn

10. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I have a 52" grasshopper with 18 hp kohler and it had always been fine. But since I got a 61" with a 25 hp, it just does not seem to be doing as good. That extra hp sure is nice. Kind of spoils you when you get used to it.