How in the heck do they do it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bunton Guy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

They are all dirty. I don't even go for these apartments, etc. I don't hire illegal immigrants. I may flatten their tires or pour sand in their mowers...but will never compete with them, nor hire them.

2. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

This winter I was networking and a very heavy hitting management co owner flat out said to a number of us: "When you call on me, if you are lucky enough to get an appointment, you have about 10 seconds to keep my attention. In those 10 seconds, I MUST know why you are different than every other mower guy who comes calling on our work."
    There you have it: whats your sustainable competitive advantage? Can you articulate it clearly and does the client even care? These guys you speak of clearly have been able to speak words that connect with their audience.

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand there is 1,000 of "us" a week "bothering" them. What gives them the right to act like a princess and turn their head the other way if we don't strike the match first try.

If anyone can say one sentence in 10 seconds that is different from the last guy it must be smoke & mirrors because im sure property managers have heard it all.

Very good to know. What else did this heavy hitter say? Are you from the Charlotte area? Would I know this management company?

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to mention in earlier post of dealing with a local property management company that is more than likely top 3 in the Charlotte area for HOA & Condos.

I get a lead that they are unhappy with who they have. Currently LCO is charging them for things that they aren't doing. And just overall not happy with the customer service. A client of mine knows this manager and brags about how our customer service is the best she has ever experienced.

We get his number and make a meeting which leads to 2-3 other meetings with him. We went and visited 5 properties that he had this one company doing. Put our bids in and after 3-4 weeks of weekly calls & e-mails I finally get a message back that “Your numbers look great everything looks great. We just need to have a meeting with the board members to let them know that we are going to make a transition to a new company." Weeks go by no answer on anything so I call again and finally get a message back from him that states “The board liked everything they just needed you to adjust some of your wording on the contract to make it more clearly state what you will be doing here or there. I will contact you when I get a list of thing they want changed"

That was back in early February! Never heard from him since....I could ONLY get his secretary on the phone and she would simply relay messages but that ended with no return calls. Mind you this was $405,000 worth of maintenance work....it was big plans for us and we were ready to re-instate some old trucks and equipment that had been sitting since the fall of the economy. What a bummer this ****** led us on for months and months. Sorry for the rant....

5. TYTILIDIE

TYTILIDIE LawnSite Member

Man I hope that's a joke.

6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member