1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How in the Hell?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirty Water, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Truck hitting overpass? Who transports with the stick up? Or do all Longsticks need to be that way?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

More than likely the stick would extend out past the legal limit so the driver was forced to run the machine forward. I can't remember the exact number, I want to say anything 14 feet past the last axle on a trailer is illegal, not including pole or logging bunks. Basically the overpass was too short so it rammed the stick up into the road above.
  3. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

I think if it hangs off more than 4'...but anyway that's what happens when you move an excavator forwards...probably had never moved equipment before or something
  4. thats one heck of a bill I wouldn't want to see. how would you like to of been driving by on it at the time.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think I seen that picture on another message board.

The machine is loaded on the trailer backwards or it looks like its backwards.

I guess the saying **** happens :laugh:
  6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Just realized that. Thats what probobly did it.
  7. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

Can you say ( FIRED )
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The machine is being hauled on a rail trailer I guess they knew it was going to be over height on a conventional lowbed. Its amazing how a machine can sit on a rail bed and wood blocks :eek:

If the machine was on the trailer the right direction the knuckle of the boom wouldn't have caught the overpass it would prolly have slid under or lifted the overpass.
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

ya think his insurance rates are gonna go up?
  10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are right. 14' is a hell of a long way, but we could be wrong!